Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

start up issues with a custom build

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 crewchief125

crewchief125

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:39 AM

I had done some cable management for my custom built, and when i went to start it up again the fan on the cpu began to boost to max and drop, and there was no display. i had swapped the video card and the stick of ram. and the computer runs the same with one stick of ram in or two, and also runs the same with no sticks in. there is power to the mobo, and all the other things in the computer, the hard drives spin up. There is still no display, i had removed the battery for an extended time and i had also done the cmos clear and everything and the computer starts up the same after, removed the mother board and all the components and looked to see if there was any wires grounded out, and switched the cables on the power supply also. still no display.

i have a 790fxta-ud5 mobo. AMD Phenom II x4 965, coolmaster 750w, EVGA gtx 260, g skill 4gb 1600 ripsaw ddr3, and a 640gb seagate black edition.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr.VisualBasic

Mr.VisualBasic

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:25 AM

Recently, I built a new computer and had a similar problem. I put everything together and went to start it and got no video. I fixed the issue and it was my RAM. I notice that you're running G.Skill Ripjaw 4GB. I had the EXACT same RAM and after replacing it, the computer ran fine. I would suggest against buying G.Skill especially the 4GB sticks. Consider getting something such as Kingston or Corsair (also, get them in sets of 2 x 2GB instead of 4GB sticks).

#3 Mr.VisualBasic

Mr.VisualBasic

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:30 AM

To add on to what I said above, I went to your motherboard manufacturer's site and read through the RAM compatibility list Compatibility List for the 790fxta-ud5 mobo; it seems that the RAM that you purchased is not supported at all.

I had the same issue. I assumed that because the motherboard supported 4GB sticks at 1066mhz that the G.Skill Ripjaw 4GB would suffice. That is not the case. I bought the stick because it was cheap; this is one of those situations when that's not a good idea.

Your best bet is probably get an RMA from whomever you purchased it from (newegg.com, for example). Fill out the RMA request and put that the RAM wasn't compatible. I'm going to warn you now, you'll most likely have to pay a re-shelf fee, since the RAM is most likely working just not with what you purchased (which is the customer's fault).

Edited by Mr.VisualBasic, 25 June 2010 - 11:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users