Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Link/Click Hijacking randomly opening new ad tabs in firefox

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 keikun496

keikun496

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 25 June 2010 - 01:42 AM

A short summary of what happens:

Ex: I search for something on Google. I see results. I click on one of the results. Instead of the actual webpage www.somewebpage.com/etcetc, I get "http://link-box.com/search.php" or some other random sites/ads. The actual content itself is blocked via noscript, so all I see is http://tru01dms3.com/VKr0RIhx6C5JHmu22a47a...12cce89233cd18Z on the page.

Sometimes tabs will open by themselves, but for the most part, it's the result of clicking on something.

What I've done so far:

I've run full system scans with avast, Super Antispyware, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and Spybot S&D. I haven't run Lavasoft Ad-aware because it's been iffy since 2007 in terms of running smoothly.

Nothing else I'm using is turning up anything, so I'm thinking it's time to pull out the big guns, via any help I can get from you guys through either ComboFix or HijackThis log analysis.

Is there anything else I can do?

One last note, I think it's only limited to Firefox, but I'm not positive. I don't really use IE very often, so I can't say whether or not for certain it's only limited to FF.

One more thing. Evidently a forum I was on had some issues with infected scripts or something. At the time I didn't have the noscript extension running, so alas I think something found its way onto my computer. Somebody made a comment about some javascript thing, but I'm not sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and I suppose I ought to mention: Windows XP SP3.

Edited by keikun496, 25 June 2010 - 01:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keikun496

keikun496
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 26 June 2010 - 05:17 PM

Half bump, half update.

I've been reading a lot of the things on the forum, so out of curiosity, I ran Kaspersky TDSSKiller from http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/solutions?qid=208280684

Results: 1 File object infected/1 cured on reboot. I rebooted, and that particular problem is now gone. It's been about a day so far, and no link/click hijacking/redirecting has occurred at all. I don't know if the problem is fixed (I doubt it is), but at least superficially something worked.

Is there anything else I should take into consideration?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users