Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very suspicious and UNHEARD of DLL file??

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 nbtech_2001

nbtech_2001

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:18 PM

Hi and thanks to whom may be able to help conquer this issue..

I have had this file and it's associated "similarly named" files haunting me for about a year now. I have regularly run Malware, Virus, Spyware, etc, scans and this MENACE of a file will show its ugly face "Ovhlsda.dll" Malwarebytes is the only scan operation that will find it but when I ask MWB to remove it and sequentially my computer BARKS error messages about lost, corrupt, and or damaged files. When those errors stop I think all has calmed but my computer crashes and re-boots.

My computer boots up and I get a few more serious error messages and I decide to go about my life rather than risk messing up my computer. I can perform most all the tasks I usually do daily and the only problem I notice is a very slow start up and not-so-regular freezes.

Now I have poked around and found a "ovhlsda.dll.bak" file in my System32 folder which to me looks like a possible reason why this guy can't be removed. I have done nothing to this .bak file because I am not fluent with windows system and .dll files.

Thanks

I believe some system info is in order (I hope this is satisfactory):

Windows Xp SP3
MSI motherboard/intel chipsets
Core 2 Duo E7400 2.81 Ghz
3.25 GB Ram
2 external HD's 2 internal HD's
M-Audio firewire 410 audio interface replacing my on-board soundcard
M-audio Axiom 61 MIDI controller

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:35 PM

Hello, is this a type of A "Cannot find...", "Could not run...", "Error loading... or "specific module could not be found" message??

iF SO:Its not unusual to receive such an error after using specialized fix tools.

A "Cannot find...", "Could not run...", "Error loading... or "specific module could not be found" message is usually related to malware that was set to run at startup but has been deleted. Windows is trying to load this file but cannot locate it since the file was mostly likely removed during an anti-virus or anti-malware scan. However, an associated orphaned registry entry remains and is telling Windows to load the file when you boot up. Since the file no longer exists, Windows will display an error message. You need to remove this registry entry so Windows stops searching for the file when it loads.

To resolve this, download Autoruns, search for the related entry and then delete it.

Create a new folder on your hard drive called AutoRuns (C:\AutoRuns) and extract (unzip) the file there. (click

here if you're not sure how to do this.)
Open the folder and double-click on autoruns.exe to launch it.
Please be patient as it scans and populates the entries.
When done scanning, it will say Ready at the bottom.
Scroll through the list and look for a startup entry related to the file(s) in the error message.
Right-click on the entry and choose delete.
Reboot your computer and see if the startup error returns.

Edited by boopme, 24 June 2010 - 11:36 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 nbtech_2001

nbtech_2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:13 PM

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. The message I received was a mix of something in that area you mentioned (it was so long ago that I ran the scan I forgot)
So I will download AUTORUNS and follow your instructions. Last night I was curious and dug around the registry and found this (attached image) when I typed "Ovhlsda.dll" in the registry search field.
I hope this may shed a little light on what might be lurking here.

Posted Image

K, so I ran the AutoRun program and found the suspicious, akward named dll file causing the issues. I tried to delete and received an error message saying I have no access to do that. Another thing to mention is that I believe I have group policy issues and I cannot de-activate my system restore for some weird reason (the box is checked and greyed out)

Posted Image

Edited by nbtech_2001, 25 June 2010 - 08:46 PM.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:55 PM

You know this one has me :thumbsup: ..

In the second image can you type the first column entry please,I cannot make it out and I don't want to remove anything now. I am going to ask another to take alook at this,
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 nbtech_2001

nbtech_2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:29 PM

Yes, sorry the pics came out kinda small. The suspicious entry is titled "xbnatqhg c:\windows\system32\ovhlsda.dll" and is under the column of:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify

This also shows up in my "Hijack this log" and I cannot delete it for the life of me!!! I also tried killing winlogon.exe and explorer.exe to avoid any conflicts this file might be creating in trying to delete it.

Here my Hijack log showing the file

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 9:27:10 Western Sun, on 6/25/2010
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\M-Audio MA_CMIDI\MA_CMIDI_Inst.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\PC Tools Firewall Plus\FWService.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared files\RichVideo.exe
C:\Program Files\Seagate\Sync\SeaSyncServices.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\SearchIndexer.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\SoftwareUpdate\YahooAUService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\MAFWTray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\PC Tools Firewall Plus\FirewallGUI.exe
C:\Program Files\Unlocker\UnlockerAssistant.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\wcescomm.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\rapimgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&a...arm1=seconduser
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: StumbleUpon Launcher - {145B29F4-A56B-4b90-BBAC-45784EBEBBB7} - C:\Program Files\StumbleUpon\StumbleUponIEBar.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {A88D4168-1919-4D6F-9754-492073D3F88D} - c:\windows\system32\ovhlsda.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O3 - Toolbar: StumbleUpon Toolbar - {5093EB4C-3E93-40AB-9266-B607BA87BDC8} - C:\Program Files\StumbleUpon\StumbleUponIEBar.dll
O3 - Toolbar: DAEMON Tools Toolbar - {32099AAC-C132-4136-9E9A-4E364A424E17} - C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools Toolbar\DTToolbar.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdatePDRShortCut] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector" UpdateWithCreateOnce "Software\CyberLink\PowerDirector\7.0"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UserFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -u
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (reboot)] "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe" /runcleanupscript
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [M-Audio Taskbar Icon] C:\WINDOWS\system32\MAFWTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [00PCTFW] "C:\Program Files\PC Tools Firewall Plus\FirewallGUI.exe" -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UnlockerAssistant] "C:\Program Files\Unlocker\UnlockerAssistant.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [H/PC Connection Agent] "C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\wcescomm.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Policies\Explorer\Run: [] 
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\RunOnce: [] (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\RunOnce: [] (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\RunOnce: [] (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\RunOnce: [] (User 'Default user')
O4 - Global Startup: Windows Search.lnk = C:\Program Files\Windows Desktop Search\WindowsSearch.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: StumbleUpon PhotoBlog It! - res://StumbleUponIEBar.dll/blogimage
O9 - Extra button: Create Mobile Favorite - {2EAF5BB1-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Create Mobile Favorite... - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra button: Connection Help - {E2D4D26B-0180-43a4-B05F-462D6D54C789} - C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\IEButton\support.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Connection Help - {E2D4D26B-0180-43a4-B05F-462D6D54C789} - C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\IEButton\support.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://asia.msi.com.tw
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://global.msi.com.tw
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://www.msi.com.tw
O16 - DPF: {39B0684F-D7BF-4743-B050-FDC3F48F7E3B} - http://www.fileplanet.com/fpdlmgr/cabs/FPDC_2.3.9.113.cab
O16 - DPF: {44990301-3C9D-426D-81DF-AAB636FA4345} - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/as...abs/tgctlsr.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat...b?1232744791234
O16 - DPF: {8100D56A-5661-482C-BEE8-AFECE305D968} (Facebook Photo Uploader 5 Control) - http://upload.facebook.com/controls/2009.0...oUploader55.cab
O16 - DPF: {8167C273-DF59-4416-B647-C8BB2C7EE83E} (WebSDev Control) - http://liveupdate.msi.com.tw/autobios/LOnline/install.cab
O16 - DPF: {E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7} - http://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: NameServer =
O17 - HKLM\System\CS3\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: NameServer =
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: NameServer =
O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: AutorunsDisabled - C:\WINDOWS\
O20 - Winlogon Notify: xbnatqhg - C:\WINDOWS\
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: CVSNT Locking Service 2.5.03.2382 (cvslock) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\CVSNT\cvslock.exe
O23 - Service: CVSNT Dispatch service 2.5.03.2382 (cvsnt) - March Hare Software Ltd - C:\Program Files\CVSNT\cvsservice.exe
O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Acresso Software Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: M-Audio CMIDI Installer (MA_CMIDI_InstallerService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\M-Audio MA_CMIDI\MA_CMIDI_Inst.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: PC Tools Firewall Plus (PCToolsFirewallPlus) - PC Tools - C:\Program Files\PC Tools Firewall Plus\FWService.exe
O23 - Service: Cyberlink RichVideo Service(CRVS) (RichVideo) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared files\RichVideo.exe
O23 - Service: Seagate Sync Service - Seagate Technology LLC - C:\Program Files\Seagate\Sync\SeaSyncServices.exe
O23 - Service: StumbleUponUpdateService - stumbleupon.com - C:\Program Files\StumbleUpon\StumbleUponUpdateService.exe
O23 - Service: Yahoo! Updater (YahooAUService) - Yahoo! Inc. - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\SoftwareUpdate\YahooAUService.exe
O24 - Desktop Component 0: (no name) - http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/stockmarket/images/1_c.gif

--
End of file - 9946 bytes

Thanks for your effort boopme.

#6 nbtech_2001

nbtech_2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:48 PM

I think there's another important bit of info to show here too from a Malware bytes log

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.41
Database version: 3177
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 (Safe Mode)

6/25/2010 8:58:37 Western Sun
mbam-log-2010-06-25 (20-58-33).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 17863
Time elapsed: 2 minute(s), 47 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 2
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{a88d4168-1919-4d6f-9754-492073d3f88d} (Trojan.BHO.H) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{a88d4168-1919-4d6f-9754-492073d3f88d} (Trojan.BHO.H) -> No action taken.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
c:\windows\system32\ovhlsda.dll (Trojan.BHO.H) -> No action taken.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 08:54 AM

Hi, I can get no good info.. It's definately wither a malware or an orphan.. That's why I wanted to use Autoruns and remove it. But now I want our Malware team to see it.. So post a DDS ,GMER (if possible,below) and that last MBAm log in a new topic.
I prefer we safely remove this.

Please go here....
Preparation Guide ,do steps 6 - 9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9,which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
If Gmer won't run,skip it and move on.
Let me know if that went well.

#8 nbtech_2001

nbtech_2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2010 - 12:52 AM

Thanks, I did all that you required except the gmer log was crashing my computer.

I just posted all the info I could give and hope that'll be sufficient?

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2010 - 07:56 PM

Looks good,thank you.

Now that your log is properly posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Removal Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the Malware Removal Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the Malware Removal Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the Malware Removal Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users