Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless help please

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 moldyy

moldyy

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:14 PM

Hello, i recently reformatted this laptop for a friend. because it was full of virus' and iv got everything working but the wireless internet, the computer will not detect it and it will not show up in device manager. i really need to get wireless on it. it is a dell inspiron 2200. thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwest0703

bwest0703

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:26 PM

Hello moldyy and welcome to BC :thumbsup:

From the sounds of it, if it is not being recognized, it is missing the drivers. I would get the service tag and go to dell to download the latest wireless drivers for it.

Good luck, and please let us know if this resolved your problem.

With regards,

bwest0703
Posted Image

#3 moldyy

moldyy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:06 PM

i tried the service tag thing, but all it has is the Intel Pro 100/ve network driver, which i already installed to get the ethernet controller working, like this laptop will connect with a wired connection, just not wireless, and i also ran that netstumbler program and it says it cannot find a wireless adapter either. should i just start downloading the wireless drivers on the non-service tag drivers page until i get one that works? lol sorry if that dont make sense, i just cant think of what to do

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:16 PM

Hello, I would like to see if I can offer you some assistance that hopefully will get you back on the wireless connection again. :thumbsup:

First I would not reccommend your installing and uninstalling drivers playing Russin roulette with them until something works. This can add to more problems down the road.

If you could please enter your Device Manager and see if there is any exclamation marks on any devices. Pay close attention to the Network Adapters entry.

If you see one there please report back before I offer any further suggestions.

Thanks in advance. :flowers:
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 moldyy

moldyy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:14 PM

Thank you for your attempt to help me. And i looked in the device manager, and there is no exclamation marks or anything, everything seems to be in working order, it just doesnt show the wireless adapter still, all it shows under network adapters is Intel pro 100/VE network adapter.

#6 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:48 PM

Is it possible that the internal wifi is switched off? Sometimes it's the simple things...
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#7 moldyy

moldyy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:17 PM

well i was wondering that aswell, and at first the FN+F2 button combo to turn it on and off wouldnt work, but i installed quickset and now it shows it turning on, but it still wont detect my wireless signal

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:38 PM

Are you broadcasting a wireless signal?
I would assume you're refering to your trying to connect to a wireless router am I correct?

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#9 moldyy

moldyy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 03:45 PM

yes, you are right. i have a netgear wireless rounter. but iv connected 3 other laptops to it wirelessly already, and they all work fine. like the guy im fixing this one for said it had wireless, but i still cant find any wireless adapters, and i didnt think the intel pro 100/ve network adapter did wireless, i though it was wired only, but i dont really know. sorry im not much help on the whole thing.

yes, you are right. i have a netgear wireless rounter. but iv connected 3 other laptops to it wirelessly already, and they all work fine. like the guy im fixing this one for said it had wireless, but i still cant find any wireless adapters, and i didnt think the intel pro 100/ve network adapter did wireless, i though it was wired only, but i dont really know. sorry im not much help on the whole thing.

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 04:21 PM

Wow in your last post I seen double vision LOL.

Ok I did a little research for you.

The Intel PRO/100 VE is a wired network card, thats why you can not connect to the router via wireless, this is an Ethernet LAN card.

#11 moldyy

moldyy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 11:13 PM

alright, thats what i thought too. do you think there may be a wireless card in this computer thats just not getting picked up? cause the guy said it had wireless, but i reallly have no idea lol, maybe he got confused.

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 11:21 PM

alright, thats what i thought too. do you think there may be a wireless card in this computer thats just not getting picked up? cause the guy said it had wireless, but i reallly have no idea lol, maybe he got confused.

Hang in there and let me varify if this is a yes or no, I'll link you to what web page I willbe heading to for your future benefit.

Be back to you shortly. :thumbsup:

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 11:27 PM

First this is your Dell Inspiration 2200 support page, everything you need to know is here at this link.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...00/en/index.htm

Be back shortly, with more information. :thumbsup:

Edit: Corrected link above.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 26 June 2010 - 11:45 PM.

#14 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 11:43 PM

After clicking the link above, you'll see two buttons service manual and owners manual.

Please check out page 48 of the PDF version of the owners manual, you can save this PDF manual to your desktop if you click the little floppy disk icon in the adobe reader menu at top left corner.

Page 48 of the owners manual shows you how to connect wirelessly to a wireless network.

Also the link I provided above has a service manual you should also save to your desk top in case you ever need it in the future.

Hope this has helped you.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 26 June 2010 - 11:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users