Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sharing a printer from Windows 7 to XP

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kat91119

Kat91119

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:17 PM

I'm hoping someone here can help me as I'm about to pull my hair out.

I followed the directions here: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/s...ndows-7-and-xp/

However, I cannot get the XP system to print. The Windows 7 system prints fine. I do not get any errors, but I also do not get the printer icon by the clock.

I can access the shared folder if I go to My Network places, so I assumed I could connect to the Windows 7 computer. However, when I do the Windows XP Network troubleshooter, I have it "Investigate" for me, and it says that it cannot ping the other computer, showing that they are not networked together properly.

Can anyone help? I'm not sure what kind of info you need otherwise I'd supply it.

EDIT: I think I've discovered that my machine is an x86 Windows XP..meaning I need to install that driver...but thats where I'm lost. I have no idea where to find this stuff or how to go about doing it.

EDIT #2: I looked on Lexmarks website. And I do not see anything for x86...this is the page for my lexmark downloads

Edited by Kat91119, 24 June 2010 - 09:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:28 AM

Here is the X86 driver for your printer:

http://support.lexmark.com/index?page=cont...S&locale=en

Gavin Seabrook

#3 Kat91119

Kat91119
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:13 PM

Thank you. I've given it a try....

This may sound completely stupid. But how do I go about this to make it work.

If I install that file on the XP machine, it opens up and asks me to install it so I say ok. And it brings me to another screen asking how I'm going to connect it. Via a network or USB. I choose network and it asks for the other computers name and the printers share name. I give it both, and it gives me and error saying to double check the name. I've done that like a zillion times and they are both right.

If I tell it that its via the USB it won't let me install it till I connect the USB to it...

Should I be installing this file on the Windows 7 Machine instead? Is there a special way of doing it?

If I (on the XP machine) click on Add Printer in the Printer area it asks if its network. I say yes. It asks to browse or enter the name. If I browse it doesn't find anything. But if I enter the name directly it "works" saying that it will install the print driver (nothing ever installs which leads me to believe I'm supposed to put it on the other machine). It asks me if I want it to be the default printer. I say yes. Now if I try to print something the printer will turn on in the other room, but nothing prints, and I get no printer icon near my clock.

I think I've just completely confused myself LOL...if anyone has any idea on how to do this please help :thumbsup: & thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users