Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help Troubleshooting

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Matrix`9691969

Matrix`9691969

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:25 PM

Ok, here is my problem. Computer worked fine when I turned it off yesterday, came home from work, went to get on pc and would not power up. I checked all connections and made sure everything inside was seated good, still no power, thought I had power supply problem. Unplugged eveything inside and tested PS, was fine. Re-hooked and installed devices 1 at a time and determined when video card was plugged in it killed power, (Bad AGP Video card I assume), just got the card in December as an upgrade so took original video card and installed in AGP slot and pc powered up fine, no beeps, all self test passed, will not load windows . I tried everything I could think of. I even formatted HD and used restore disk to reinstall complete system. Everything seems to work fine in DOS, all menus appear and restore completes, but when pc goes to re-boot to complete installation of windows, windows never loads, just get a white or grey bar across bottom of screen, or blank screen, or freezes at the selction screen to load in safe mode, normally or such. I am lost on this one, any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Matrix`9691969, 24 June 2010 - 10:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:05 AM

I would run the appropriate diagnostic on the hard drive.

Louis

#3 Matrix`9691969

Matrix`9691969
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:54 PM

Did that already, runs fine in dos, and shows no errors. Even reformatted the HD twice .

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:22 AM

Hello, I'll see if I can suggest some solutions.

First, you should open the computer case and examine the inside for any dust acclumulation, your problem might be a failed cooling fan, or dust buildup in a spot thats hard to see.

If you see dust its time to clean the case out and pay close attention to fins behind fans or the fans them selves for dust.

I suggest you also try making sure there is no oxidation on any of the connections of expansion cards verus the slot it is installed in, you can disturb this by removing the card and using a toothbrush in the card slot, just be careful not to lose pieces of the bristles in the slot.

Make sure your cables are secure and their connections are not affected by oxidation or corrosion buildup, which is commen with modular electronics circuits.

Make sure your BIOS settings for the hard drive was not reset, you should enter the BIOS setup and examine the settings for your hard drive, make sure it is the first boot device in the boot section.

Make sure your video card is configured properly in the BIOS as well, because an improper setting there could cause a system halt.

On your main BIOS screen see if there is a setting that says Halt on then theres the choices of the following: keyboard errors, system errors, or no errors, change that to No errors to see if the system proceeds to boot up.

One of the things people over look is looking in the BIOS utility for possible changes, perhaps even the BIOS battery has died and needs replacing, this will cause the system to fail to boot because the settings are now incorrect, as well as the system clock time and date being wrong, that's a dead give away the battery is dead. Errors from this can happen at a moments notice and is worth a look.

Before I make your head spin, please check the things I suggested and let us know if anything here has helped you.

Kind regards.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 26 June 2010 - 02:24 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 Matrix`9691969

Matrix`9691969
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2010 - 12:03 AM

Ok, I have opened the case, removed every componet, and cleaned good. Removed all dust accumulations, reinstalled componets and checked all connections. Still same prob. Swapped ram with know good ram, still have problem. Swapped video card with know good card, still same problem. Ran HD Regeneration in dos mode to verify HD is good, and it checked out with no errors. I will double check the BIOS and CMOS settings but they looked good, and all self test on start-up passes. Have even reformatted the HD several times and re-installed OEM software with 100% completion and no failures, but still will not boot-up in windows. I am fearing MB problem, or maybe the slot itself for the video card. This one has me stumped. Any software that I can download that is bootable that will test the MB? I have tried the manufactorer's website with no success. It's a MEDION PC and MB. I appreciate all the responses.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 27 June 2010 - 12:31 AM

I would try entering the BIOS utility at this point and try whatever key combination it suggests to load either system defaults or best configuration, I can not tell you which F keys these are because each BIOS firmware writter has their own set of F keys they use, but commenly the F5 key is used for setup defaults.

We may have to talk about your removing the CMOS backup battery and shorting out the jumpers which are called CLRTC, this clears the CMOS and when done, you will have to set the date and time again, also you have to return the CMOS battery to its holder once your done, just make sure you return the jumper back to its default position before installing the battery and attempting to restart the computer.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users