Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

It all started with Windows Security Center 2010

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 directedmark

directedmark

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:25 PM

OK So here is whats up. A couple weeks back I got infected with the annoying Windows Security Center 2010 pop up. I had Mcafee Security Center installed and up to date on my PC but it still got through. I tried numberous times to remove the program but everytime I did my McAfee would get disabled and I would have to scan over and over again in safe mode to to get it working again.

Eventually I downloaded, installed and eventually un-installed several programs that were supposed to aleviate me of this problem such as:

Avira AntiVir Personal - Free Antivirus (Installed and eventually un-installed)
Stopzilla ( Installed then un-installled)
Spybot Search and Destroy ( Still Installed on my computer )
MalWareBytes ( Still Installed on my computer )

Currently the Windows Security pop up is gone, hurray for that, but my computer is jacked up. Start Up takes forever, before the task bar shows up it displays a blank desktop background for about a minute. I get an error windows can't find CEUTIL.DLL and to top it all off I can not connect to the internet. When I go to the network Connections window under the status tab it appears to be hung up on Acquiring Network Address-firewalled.

I'm running Windows XP on my Dell XPS Desktop computer. I would really appreciate any help I could get with this.

Thank

Mark

EDIT: Moved from XP to Am I Infected forum ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 24 June 2010 - 05:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nerrdy

nerrdy

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:29 PM

Before you do anything, uninstall Spybot Search and Destroy because having two anti-virus programs running will ruin the efficiency of both programs. Then, restart your computer and try running MalwareBytes in safe mode.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:35 PM

FWIW: There is no conflict that I'm aware of between Spybot and any other program (I have Spybot, Malwarebytes, SAS, and Avira Free on my systems).

Spybot is not an AV, neither is Malwarebytes, neither is SAS.

The comment about 2 AVs is true, due to the nature of how AV programs protect the system...only one is the choice to make.

Louis

#4 directedmark

directedmark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:35 PM

Thanks. Will Do.

Mark

0 user(s) are reading this topic