Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer shutting down during bootup

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mrjp11

mrjp11

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:11 PM

My computer is shutting down during boot up. All fans seem to be working fine.
Once it shuts down the, the green light is flashing on the front of the tower.
I also have to unplug the power from the power supply for a few seconds before
I can get it to restart. I tried going to safe mode and restarting and it does the same thing.
Also it does the same thing if I try going to last good config.

If you need anymore help, Ill do my best to get it posted. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwest0703

bwest0703

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:49 PM

Welcome to BC :flowers:

Is this a custom built PC? Only reason I ask this, is that I swear in one of my hardware classes the prof. had said it's possible to reverse wires and prevent the PC from booting showing flashing LED's. This may be the problem if my memory serves me right. :thumbsup:

Edited by bwest0703, 24 June 2010 - 10:53 PM.

Posted Image

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:12 AM

What does the green light you mention...signify?

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#4 mrjp11

mrjp11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:20 AM

Yes it was custom built at least 5 years ago. There has been some upgrades but there hasn't been any made to it in at least 2 years. The computer has been working fine with no problems
The green light that flashes after it shuts down is the green light that comes on when the computer is turned on. I am beginning to believe it is hardware related but don't know where
to start or what could cause the problem.

#5 bwest0703

bwest0703

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:31 AM

In that case I think you need to determine what motherboard you have in it. If we can determine the motherboard, we can more accurately determine the cause.

Often times referring to the motherboard manufacturer's manual will allow you to troubleshoot the codes. Am I right here Louis?

With regards,

bwest0703
Posted Image

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:46 PM

Well...I stick with basics and don't worry about lights and codes, unless we are talking BIOS beeps.

I would try a different PSU initially...depending on those results, my next diagnostic would be for the hard drive. A bad PSU generally yields no obvious clues/warnings.

Possibly useful, How to Diagnose and Replace a Failed PC Power Supply - http://www.wikihow.com/Diagnose-and-Replac...PC-Power-Supply.

Louis

#7 mrjp11

mrjp11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2010 - 08:22 AM

I have the K8N Neo4 Motherboard in the machine. Its the MS-7125 I do believe. Still playing around with it, trying to get some kind of idea. Looks like I
am going to have to get a PSU and try it first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users