Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cable Problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 numlock

numlock

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 14 October 2005 - 06:34 AM

For the pasted week and a half I've been having a problem with my cable internet. For some reason after about 1 to 6 hrs, my net dies. but what I don't understand is my modem dosen't show I am off line, eveything is lite up. I've called my ISP but they are just about as much help as a baby with a hand gun. The only way I can get it to work again is to unplug it, then plug it in again. but I am getting tired of doing this every 2 to 3 hrs at a time :thumbsup:

Any help ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,924 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 14 October 2005 - 12:54 PM

don't know what Isp you have,but at Cablevision they cleared a problem like that by resetting the cable modem at their end while I was on the phone with them..
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 14 October 2005 - 02:22 PM

Had the same problems. Small woodland creature were chewing on the coax between the house and the pole. After a few hours it would have to rest. Once they (Cox.com) replaced the line everything wnt back to normal.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 mawood

mawood

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2005 - 05:22 PM

I had the same problems for about six months or more. Finally it went off completely. They checked it on line and sure enough there wasn't anything working. The cable guy came out and he looked at it and said they put too small of a cable for the distance that it had to come. My house is about 300 feet away from the line. He put a new bigger line in and I haven't had any trouble since. Of course, it took them 3 or 4 months to bury the line!! Maybe this is your problem.

#5 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 15 October 2005 - 03:10 AM

same here, i've got DSL though. Not regularly, but a couple times now the browser will not be able to connect and just time out requests. For some reason my torrents won't completely die, but slow to about .5 kbps. Anyway the only way i've solved this problem is to reset the modem.
In another post of a similar situation somebody suggested that the problem might be a DoS attack to which the router just blocks everything.

#6 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2005 - 09:21 AM

I agree with everyone else.
This is not a Windows problem. this is a problem with your ISP line, there are several things you yourself can check so you don't have to wait for the cable company to get to you.

Check & make sure all your connections are tight.
Check all your connections inside & out, take them appart and make sure they are not rusted or corroded.
Check to make sure you do not have more the one splitter in the line & if you do make sure they are just a 2 way splitter and use a high freq. splitter (1000mhz) your cable company should be able to supply these.
Inspect the cable real good & make sure it is in good shape, the internet operates on such a high freq. that your TV may look fine but your internet will not work & if there is a problem with your cable or connection your internet will be the first to go out.

#7 numlock

numlock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2005 - 06:54 PM

Thanks a lot for all your help :thumbsup:

But now I think I know what the problem is tho. I think it's shareza, I haven't been running it, and so far I haven't been booted. Now I gotta find a way to get shareza to run without getting booted.

#8 numlock

numlock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2005 - 05:14 AM

Thanks my friends :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users