Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hardware problem somewhere. literally out of ideas.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 vincentp

vincentp

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 24 June 2010 - 04:49 PM

I'm typing this on my phone so excuse the errors. Ill start from the beginning.

This all began with some video card coil whine that would only happen during heavy video load. After a while it wouldn't go away. It whined for hours even if the PC wasn't doing anything. At one point the other day the PC powered down. When I turned it back on, it was booting but the keyboard back light was blinking like crazy. I turned it off and replaced the video card. It stopped booting at all. No monitor signal, three different graphic cards. Every time the keyboard blinking like a madman.

So I assume its not the video card at all. Must be the mobo. I buy a new board, new CPU new ram and new psu. Install everything with the old hard drives and video card. Turn it on and the keyboards blinking again. Mouse isn't powering on at all. Windows starts to load and blue screens every time. The lights on the keyboard eventually stop but the keyboard doesn't respond.

So I try everything. Unplug the drives individually. Unplug the video card (even tried a different one). Unplug the keyboard, the mouse and the fans. unplug the front panel connectors and the audio cables. Mind you everything else is brand new. No luck. No response. The mobo posts but Windows blue screens and I can't try safe mode or get into the BIOS due to no keyboard response.

I have no idea what to do next. I just spent 500 bucks on replacement parts and nothings changed. I'm flipping out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 vincentp

vincentp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:15 PM

If it makes any difference... if I go back to the old mobo there's no video at all. It doesnt say no signal, the screens just pure black. This with a video card that shoes video plain as day with the new board.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:59 PM

Is your keyboard usb or ps2? If it's usb, you need to get to BIOS to check the USB Legecy Support setting which needs to be enabled. Since there are different bios systems, you will have to root around for it.

If you do have a usb keyboard, do you know anyone with a ps2 type? You may have to borrrow one to see if you can get to BIOS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users