Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Showing But No Partitions

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Rook0316

Rook0316

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:40 PM

First let me start by saying I know this forum is for internal hardware. This external HD ends up being an internal HD by the end of this post.

I have a WD myBook 500GB USB hard drive that will not show my four partitions when plugged in to USB.

I thought my power supply inside the enclosure was going bad, so I took the hard drive out of the enclosure and hooked it up to a SATA to USB converter I have and power unit. Still nothing.

Next, I have a RAID SATA card in my computer. I hooked the drive up and rebooted. The drive shows up during POST, however it takes forever to boot. Still nothing. It is still hooked up this way.

No matter each way I hooked the drive up it would show up in Device Manager under Disk Drives, but would not show up under Disk Management.

When hooked up through USB the computer would beep letting me know a USB device was connected to it. Then it would beep letting me know it was disconnected. It would cycle through this a few times before just quitting.

I also tried Ubuntu NBR on my netbook through USB. Nothing.

Luckily, I have a backup of my pictures, however that backup is four months old.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Win XP Home SP3

Edited by Rook0316, 24 June 2010 - 02:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:48 PM

Appropriate hard drive diagnostic.

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.as...1=6&lang=en

If the partitions do not show in Disk Management...and the partition letters are not duplicated...then the file system may be in trouble on that drive.

The disk diagnostic will confirm/refute the possibility that it's the drive itseff...

The RAID/SATA card does not come into play at all if there is no RAID configuration. It just allows the SATA drive to be connected to a system that does not have motherboard SATA connectors.

Louis

#3 Rook0316

Rook0316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:16 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I tried the lifeguard diagnostic, however I am not getting a drive letter assigned to run the diagnostic. The drive is still showing in Device Manager. I did briefly see a drive letter get assigned.

I will let you know I have the drive hooked up externally now. I am not sure if you would want to move this topic to the External Devices forum.

Is there a next step or should I just give up?

Thanks again for your help.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:20 AM

<<I tried the lifeguard diagnostic, however I am not getting a drive letter assigned to run the diagnostic.>>

I don't know what you are talking about. The hard drive diagnostic should be downloaded and burned to CD.

The bootable CD should then be used to run the diagnostic.

Louis

#5 Rook0316

Rook0316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:30 AM

In the link you provided there was a download of "Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows". That is the one I downloaded. I do see there is a version that you can burn to a CD. I will try that one when I get home from work.

Thanks again.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:51 AM

OK, I see.

I always use the bootable CD version of a diagnostic, since many will not run from within Windows.

After you download the .iso file...you must burn it to CD. A couple of guides for doing so:

How to write a CD-DVD image or ISO - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/write-a-cd-dvd-image-or-iso/

How to successfully burn or write an ISO-image to cd or dvd - http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm

Louis

#7 Rook0316

Rook0316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2010 - 08:25 AM

OK, I used the bootable CD. The CD hangs at loading Caldera. I removed the HD and the disk boots all the way through.

Is it safe to say the hard drive is a paperweight?

Thanks again.

Edited by Rook0316, 27 June 2010 - 08:25 AM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2010 - 09:10 AM

I would go with that premise, after the failure of the diagnostic to detect life...but I know that some diagnostics will not detect drives unless they are connected directly to the motherboard.

USB-connected drives...can't be detected until the USB drivers kick in.

Direct connection is best...introducing intermediary devices just complicates analysis because the intermediary could be defective/failing or dependent on Windows for drivers.

Before I wrote the drive off...I'd find a motherboard/system where I could connect to the motherboard directly and test the drive outside of the external enclosure.

Louis

#9 Rook0316

Rook0316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:37 AM

Thanks for all the help hamluis. I finally had a chance to connect the HD to the motherboard. Using the diagnostic CD, I get an error 0201 - No WD drives found.

I think it is safe to call it dead.

I appreciate your time.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:02 AM

Easily done, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users