Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Activation code valid on re-install?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ItsThat

ItsThat

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:05 PM

I currently have Windows 7 Home installed (the retail version, not OEM). I'm getting an SSD and would like to do a clean install on it. After that, I'll just clear my current hard drive and use it for programs.

My question is: Do I need to uninstall windows from my current drive first so there's no conflict with my activation code already being in use? Or does it not matter?

Thanks.

Edited by ItsThat, 24 June 2010 - 02:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:31 PM

You should be able to simply replace your existing hard drive with the SSD and reinstall Windows 7. When the activation is prompted, you may be forced to call microsoft to activate your Windows 7 installation.

This is a simple phone call that takes about 5 to 10 minutes.

You do not need to uninstall Windows from your current drive.

Hope this helps,

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 five04ever

five04ever

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:19 PM

Sorry if i'm high-jacking this post... I have a very simular issue... The PC i had installed windows 7 pro on crashed (not sure, cpu, mobo?), so i tried installing windows 7 on my backup pc (as a clean install), but it said my product key was invalid. Problem is that it doesn't give me an 'activate by phone' option.... Does anyone have a phone number to active windows 7 pro on my other pc? I've done this on my windows xp pro before, so i'm familiar with that process.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

#4 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 26 June 2010 - 03:57 PM

United Kingdom. Microsoft UK Home Page. Microsoft Limited Microsoft Campus Thames Valley Park Reading Berkshire RG6 1WG UNITED KINGDOM. Phone: (+44) 0844 800 2400

www.microsoft.

Hope this number helps you
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users