Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help connecting 2 computers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mark34

mark34

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 24 June 2010 - 01:13 PM

Hi,

I'm having some trouble networking my 2 desktop PCs, both with XP. I want to connect them so I can share files between them. I have everything set up, as far as hardware goes. Both are hooked into my router with ethernet cables and have working network cards and can each go online, so no problem there. If I click Start > My Network Places > View Workgroup Computers, I can see both computers listed there, but I can't transfer files between them. Both are admin accounts and file/printer sharing is enabled on both PCs.

One other thing I tried that did allow me to share files between the computers, but I'm not sure if it safe, is I went to MY Computer > C drive > selected Properties > selected the sharing tab and selected to share the root of the drives. This allowed me to share files between the computers, but I'm not sure this would be safe to do because both computers will be going online and I don't want to share the root of my C drives with anyone. But it is totally ok if the drives are shared between the two computers, I just don't want anyone else getting access to them over the internet. So is it safe to share the root of these drives? Even with file/printer sharing enabled? Like I said I just don't want anyone getting access to the root of these drives over the net somehow.

Forgot to add I have PCTools firewall on one PC and only the Windows firewall active on the other, but will probably be changing that one to PCTools or ZoneAlarm free. Also my router has a built-in basic firewall.

Thanks very much for any help.

Edited by mark34, 24 June 2010 - 01:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arknaz

arknaz

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 24 June 2010 - 01:19 PM

I WOULDNT add the root C:\ to the share, but make a folder (on a secondary partition) named *sharedfolder* or something. Go into that one and set up the permissions to your liking. You could follow Microsoft's link to setting up sharing via XP

Hope that helps

-Scott

Edit, would NOT add the root c:\ to a share, sorry

Edited by arknaz, 24 June 2010 - 07:20 PM.

Samsung Chromebook +
  • Intel i5-2500K 3.3Ghz - Replaced with I7 3770k 3.5Ghz
  • 80G SSD, 640G/1TB/3TB Sata  
  • Palit GTX560 TI 2GB 
  • 16g G.Skill Sniper DDR3

#3 mark34

mark34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:56 PM

Thanks for the help Arknaz. I'm kinda a newb to computers though, so I have no idea how to make a 2nd partition. I don't understand why they make this so difficult to set up properly. Many other things in Windows are just plug and play, so why not with connecting a 2nd computer?

Oh well, I guess I can always get a Easy Transfer Cable lol. I never really wanted the 2nd computer to go online anyway. I only wanted to be able to transfer some files back and forth between two PCs. I didn't think I would have to jump through hoops to do so.

Edited by mark34, 24 June 2010 - 05:58 PM.

#4 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:17 AM

Hi mark34,file sharing is fairly simple between two computers you can share any file or folder by right clicking on it and selecting properties than select sharing and follow the directions for sharing,with a good anti-virus anti-spy-ware installed a router and Windows Firewall,plus keeping you O/S updated is all you really need for a secure computer.With Windows Media Player 11 you can share libraries there by saving hard drive space by not having to duplicate music,video files on each computer.Oh and following these simple rules keeping your computer safe on the internet

Edited by sleepwalker, 01 July 2010 - 11:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users