Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Webmail worm or hacker

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 floridaze

floridaze

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:50 AM

Hi all. Amending a post I made yesterday.

I'm getting a ton of blank emails except for a spam link, which I obviously don't click on. They all have extensions from exotic countries, etc. Most, if not all of them are coming from Yahoo or Gmail addresses. None of these emails ever has anything in the subject line.

Since they're coming via webmail accounts, would it be more likely that the senders' accounts have been hacked by a bot that sends out bad links to all contacts, as opposed to their respective computers being infected by malware?

Any help given would be greatly appreciated, as I'd like to alert everybody who is infected and/or hacked what to do to remedy their situation. I can't find anything on this matter via 'net searching, but it sure is running wild. Does anybody know the name of this hacker/bot/trojan/whatever?

Many thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:35 PM

Please, folks, somebody other than myself HAS to be getting these links sent out to everybody on the contact list of the victim's webmail account, usually Yahoo or Gmail ... please tell me what to tell the poor saps. They insist they have no virus.

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users