Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell xp home Coa update question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 stanpatpick

stanpatpick

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:38 AM

I have added some details to clarify the post after reading the first response( in a different font )

I am fixing a system for a friend.

The machine he brought to me was a Dell Dimension 8400 loaded with XP PRO the last time I saw it running. ( It probably wasn't legal and there was no install cd for it. )

The hard drive in it crashed fatally.

I bought a Dell XP Home edition Reinstallation Disc to match the coa on the side of his case ( It is for Home Edition ) thinking that he would just need to update the coa in the OS install at some point to match his.

I have installed all XP updates and at no point have I been asked for a coa key. The machine is already activated as far as I know from installing MS Security Essentials and previous updates. It was a requirement.

The coa code I found using Belarc Advisor doesn't match the one on the side of his case.

Should it?

If so do I need to use the microsoft site to change the key information or some other tool?

Edited by stanpatpick, 24 June 2010 - 09:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:47 AM

You cannot legally install either XP Home or XP Pro...without the respective license for each.

Home licenses are not transferable to Pro installs...and Pro licenses are not transferable to Home installs.

Been that way for years, they are different versions.

Louis

#3 stanpatpick

stanpatpick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 25 June 2010 - 01:29 AM

Answer found @msfn forums - the cd has key that is preactivated and since the bios of the mobo recognized it and installed it is good to go without any further steps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users