Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

START UP PROBLEM

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Charanne52

Charanne52

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:43 AM

Suddenly the welcome screen is appearing at startup and I have to click my user name before I can get to the desktop screen. I have never used the welcome screen and since I am the only person using this computer I want to bypass it and wasn't sure how to do it. Yesterday, I finally went into user accounts and for some reason decided to reset the password for my user name thinking it might help me get rid of the welcome screen. I didn't recall ever setting a password before but I foolishly went ahead and did that then I discovered the box which says "users must enter a name and password to use this computer" so I unchecked it. If I had done that first I would probably not be having my present problem. I then tried restarting the computer (not shutting it off totally) and now a message box appeared on the welcome screen saying the system could not log me on. I clicked the okay box and the message disappeared and I was able to click on my user name which then took me to the desktop. Unchecking the box has not seemed to prevent the welcome screen from coming up and now I have this new message box saying it cannot log me on to contend with as well so I assume I made an error in trying to reset the password and should have just tried unchecking the box. I finally gave up playing with it and eventually turned off the computer for the day. This morning when I turned it on the computer the welcome screen with the "not able to log on" message flashed past and a blue screen arose saying "Windows is starting up" and it just got stuck there. I tried turning the computer off and pushing the delete button before it got that far and this other screen came up with a list of different commands (most of which made no sense to me). There was one however that I recognized and it was to reset the password so I tried entering and confirming the password I had chosen the previous day then saving it. I started the computer again and it still bypassed the welcome screen. I tried it several more times to no avail then I tried it again holding down the Ctrl/Alt/Del buttons and it finally stopped at the welcome screen where I was able to click okay to the message about not being able to log on and then clicked my name and it opened up the desktop. I am now afraid to turn off the computer at all in case I can't get back on. There is also a strange account which I have not previously noticed in my user accounts called ASPNET which appears to have something to do with internet accounts. Do I need this? How can I rid myself of the unwelcome welcome screen and the new message box saying I can't log on and most importantly, how can I ensure that my computer will not get stuck on the "windows is starting up" screen? I could probably live with the welcome screen if I had to as long as it lets me gain access to the computer but I would prefer not to.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:40 AM

OK...a few words of explanation :thumbsup:.

The logon screen appeared on your system, just as it did on mine (months ago)...because you installed a version of MS.NET Framework. It's one of those features of MS.NET that users were not properly warned about but which happens automatically.

Rather than explain what it was intended to do...just accept the fact that it was created by installing some version of MS.NET (which is necessary for many systems) and it is a benign item.

The login screen that appeared because of this...can be overcome, if it's a nuisance. The login screen is intended to be a security feature of MS.NET, but some of us interpret it merely as a nuisance (because we don't use login/password to access our systems).

Not sure what you did before...but all that you did may have corrupted some files. Please don't follow that route any more. I suggest that you run the chkdsk /r command on your system partition...the next time you boot into XP.

Re welcome screen, see http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000537.htm.

If you absolutely feel that you must...you can even delete the ASP.NET account. See pertinent comments at http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread14059.html.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 24 June 2010 - 09:40 AM.

#3 Charanne52

Charanne52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:02 AM

Thank you for your advice. My concern right now is the problem I created when I attempted to reset a non-existent password at the time I unchecked the box petaining to the entry of the user name and password. If I did a system restore back to yesterday morning when I did this would that undo the error message I am now getting on the welcome screen? I think I should deal with this before I try to change the welcome screen or delete anything. I am also worried about turning off the computer since I had so much trouble getting on this morning.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,245 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:18 AM

Sorry, but I can't answer any questions about what you did or how to restore (I don't use XP's System Restore function).

The only reason I know about the welcome screen...it happened to me (I don't login each day, I'm the sole person with access to my computers).

When I make a mistake on my system, I try to undo it. If I cannot undo it, I don't mind doing a clean install if the situation warrants it.

Your problems getting on the system this morning...may reflect a damaged profile, damaged system files...I cannot say.

I would try to run the chkdsk /r command, from the XP Recovery Console...to try to sort the files out.

How to Create a Bootable XP Recovery Console CD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/276527/how-to-create-a-bootable-xp-recovery-console-cd/

How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console - http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk

Louis

#5 Charanne52

Charanne52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2010 - 12:50 PM

I seem to have resolved my problems by removing the password in safe mode. I have also managed to bypass the welcome screen and everything has returned to normal including the start up screen. Thanks so much for your help.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,245 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2010 - 01:34 PM

Well done...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users