Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running Out Of Memory...

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 14 October 2005 - 12:43 AM

I looked under my System settings, and it says I have 32.0MB RAM. Isn't that like really low? My computer (Win98) has slowed down and it takes forever (well not forever since I have high speed...but all things considered, forever is about right) to open programs -- if they even open at all. All this happened seemingly overnight. I guess there isn't enough memory or the hard drive is about to conk out -- or both.

How do I gain more RAM? I've about deleted all the programs I can. There are some I could remove but I'm not sure about since they were on the computer before I started using it. I dunno if these programs are essential for the system to work properly.

I know all the security programs are hogging up resources...I was wondering if I could do without one of 'em. Besides ZA firewall, there's AVG, Spybot, Ad-aware, SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 14 October 2005 - 02:04 AM

How do I gain more RAM?

Purchase more.

To free up some ram, you can reduce the number of programs you have running at startup.
Check your startup programs against the Startup Programs list at the top of this page.
The ones you don't need at startup, disable them from running at startup.
If there are any you aren't sure about, just post them here, and someone will help you out.

ZA firewall, and AVG, need to run at startup.
That's your Firewall, and Antivirus.
They should NEVER be turned off, while you're hooked up to the internet
Ad-aware, SpywareBlaster, and SpywareGuard, don't run at startup, so they're not a problem.
Spybot can be set to run at startup, but it doesn't need to.
To check, to see if it's set to run at startup:
Open Spybot.
On the tool bar, at the top left, click Mode.
Click Advanced Mode.
A box will open, asking if you want to go to Advanced Mode, click Yes.
On the left, near the bottom, click the Settings tab.
Then on the menu, click Settings.
In the panel on the right, scroll down to Automation.
Under that you will see Program Start, and System Start.
Click the little + sign next to each one, if they aren't already expanded.
Under Program Start, nothing should be checked.
If there is anything checked, uncheck it.
Under System Start, the only thing that should be checked is, No automation.
Close Spybot.

This will stop Spybot from running at startup.
When you need to use it, just double click the icon to open it.

Edited by tg1911, 14 October 2005 - 02:05 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2005 - 02:28 AM

What type of computer do you have ? CPU, amount of RAM, hard drive... you could buy more RAM if you have room in your computer. If your hard drive is low on space (near full) windows could slow down because it lacks room for a proper swap file.
It may not be any of these but increasing phyical RAM it a cheap, quick and good way to speed up your computer. I just paid $25 shipped for 256mhz PC100 low density RAM. Like I said it's cheap and I will not have to give up any programs.
Just a thought.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 turnip

turnip

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 14 October 2005 - 03:06 AM

I looked under my System settings, and it says I have 32.0MB RAM. Isn't that like really low? My computer (Win98) has slowed down and it takes forever (well not forever since I have high speed...but all things considered, forever is about right) to open programs -- if they even open at all. All this happened seemingly overnight. I guess there isn't enough memory or the hard drive is about to conk out -- or both.

How do I gain more RAM? I've about deleted all the programs I can. There are some I could remove but I'm not sure about since they were on the computer before I started using it. I dunno if these programs are essential for the system to work properly.

I know all the security programs are hogging up resources...I was wondering if I could do without one of 'em. Besides ZA firewall, there's AVG, Spybot, Ad-aware, SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard.

As Acklan said, it cud be because the paging file hasnt enuf room coz the HD is running out of space, You have deleted programs, u cud also run a disk cleanup and then run chkdsk, also make sure you run the defragmenter, in fact one that can defragment the MFT and Paging file will be gud if they are badly fragmented. The sluggishness may be also due to this. Also agree with the suggestion of simply adding more RAM.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2005 - 10:08 AM

Try running http://www.download.com/CCleaner/3000-2144_4-10315544.html. Set it up to run every time you restart. This will keep your Temp Internet file and cookies to a minimun.

#6 MeanDonnaJean

MeanDonnaJean

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2005 - 09:10 PM

I just paid $25 shipped for 256mhz PC100 low density RAM.

Scuze me for just buttin' in here and not intro'in myself beforehand but boy oh boy, don't *I* feel like a friggin' moron right about now. I just paid a hundred damn bucks for a measly 2 stix of 128 MB RAM (for a whoppin' grand total of 256 MB) for this stinkin' bleepin' computer of mine. So either I'm an even BIGGER moron cuz I mighta just read yer post completely wrong, or else that darn company musta seen MY huge rear end comin' from far, faaaaaar away!

Oh well, live 'n learn.

Edited by MeanDonnaJean, 16 October 2005 - 08:48 AM.

#7 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2005 - 09:40 PM

Don't kick it yet! All RAM will not fit all computers. Also, I am not sure what 256MHZ ram is. Probably meant a 256mhz computer {SPEED) , and bought XXXmb of ram?

Edited by gunner, 15 October 2005 - 09:53 PM.

Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

#8 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2005 - 09:57 PM

I just sold a used stick of 256mb PC 133 RAM for $20. I can't keep any around, somebody always needs it. I've got one Win 98 machine running here - it's an old AT and will only hold 128mb of PC 100 and I really wish I could stick more in it. I've got lots of things on it. I'd really hate to be running less than that, though 98 will run on a lot less. My XP machine has a gig and I don't regret it a bit.

#9 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2005 - 01:18 AM

"Purchase more."

I assume I can purchase this at any computer supply/repair store? I don't buy online.

"To free up some ram, you can reduce the number of programs you have running at startup.
Check your startup programs against the Startup Programs list at the top of this page.
The ones you don't need at startup, disable them from running at startup.
If there are any you aren't sure about, just post them here, and someone will help you out."

'K, but how do I find out which programs I have running at startup?

"Ad-aware, SpywareBlaster, and SpywareGuard, don't run at startup, so they're not a problem."

I think SpywareGuard does run at startup...it takes about 10 minutes for all the desktop icons to come up, and one of 'em is SpywareGuard.

I guess I need Spybot to run at all times because of the registry/homepage change alert thingy. I've had spyware change my homepage in the past, so I'm kinda paranoid about that.

Edited by PCIlliterateGal, 17 October 2005 - 01:23 AM.

#10 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2005 - 01:33 AM

"What type of computer do you have ? CPU, amount of RAM, hard drive..."

Umm, I'm not sure, really. It says under System Properties: ProMedia, AuthenticAMD, AMD-K6™ 3D processor, 32.0MB RAM

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2005 - 01:44 AM

I just paid $25 shipped for 256mhz PC100 low density RAM.

Scuze me for just buttin' in here and not intro'in myself beforehand but boy oh boy, don't *I* feel like a friggin' moron right about now. I just paid a hundred damn bucks for a measly 2 stix of 128 MB RAM (for a whoppin' grand total of 256 MB) for this stinkin' bleepin' computer of mine. So either I'm an even BIGGER moron cuz I mighta just read yer post completely wrong, or else that darn company musta seen MY huge rear end comin' from far, faaaaaar away!

Oh well, live 'n learn.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=7550582851
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

The second one came out to $112 after shipping.

"What type of computer do you have ? CPU, amount of RAM, hard drive..."

Umm, I'm not sure, really. It says under System Properties: ProMedia, AuthenticAMD, AMD-K6™ 3D processor, 32.0MB RAM

Your's sound like an old socket 7 or super 7 mother board. If it is you may be limited to 64 mb RAM at the most 128mb. You may have both 72 pin and 168 pin memory slots. You will only be able to use one or the other though. Are you comfortable openning you case? If so look and se if you have four white 72 pin memory slots, they will have ametal tab on each end, or 2 black larger 168 pin slots, they will have a white lever on each end.

#12 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2005 - 03:33 AM

I assume I can purchase this at any computer supply/repair store? I don't buy online.

Yes, but it'll probably be more expensive.
Just make sure it's from a reputable company.
Three trusted companies:
Crucial
Kingston
Corsair
Get Lifetime Warranty RAM.
RAM is something you don't want to skimp on.
Good RAM is worth every penny.

'K, but how do I find out which programs I have running at startup?

Click Start.
Click Run.
Type in: msconfig
Click OK.
Click the Startup tab.
This will give you a list of the Programs you have running at startup.

I think SpywareGuard does run at startup...

Your right PCIlliterateGal, but it uses so little resources as to be insignificant.

I guess I need Spybot to run at all times because of the registry/homepage change alert thingy

No, you do not need Spybot to run at startup.
The "registry/homepage change alert thingy" is called TeaTimer, and that will run whether Spybot is set to run at startup, or not.
So use the settings I gave you to disable Spybot from running at startup.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#13 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 17 October 2005 - 01:20 PM

By the way, if you have Spybot, you can view (and change) start-up programs using one of the included tools. I find this much easier to use than the msconfig route, and you get more information about each program.

On the first Spybot screen, go to "mode" at the top and highlight "advanced mode." A new left hand panel will show, and expand the "tools" section. Check for "system startup."

Regards,
John

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#14 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2005 - 01:58 PM

Good point John,.
I use StartupMonitor, so I keep forgetting about that.

#15 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2005 - 07:13 PM

I compared my startup items with the ones in the Bleeping Computer database. I didn't see any of the 'undesirable' or 'unnecessary' ones.

But I compared them to the info given by Spybot, and I'm kinda confused on the following;

SystemTray (SysTray.Exe)

ScanRegistry (c:\windows\scanregw.exe/autorun)

LoadPowerProfile (Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme)

I'm not sure if these are legit or some of the 'Not required-virus, spyware, malware or other resource hog' entries.

I don't even have MSN toolbar, so I dunno why 'msnappau' is there. Unless the toolbar is hidden or something.

I'm not sure I need 'CriticalUpdate' if I can get the updates by going to the Microsoft web site.

I guess I don't need SchedulingAgent (mstask.exe) unless it's required for my scheduled AVG updates.

Edited by PCIlliterateGal, 17 October 2005 - 07:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users