Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm unable to open any installed web browser other than IE8 - Is this malware

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jrap101

jrap101

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:39 AM

I've currently got an issue with my PC which I fear might be some form of dangerous infection and was hoping for some assistance. I've been using Google Chrome as my default web browser for a while as frankly, I'm not mad keen on IE. I powered up my comp a couple days ago and clicked on the Chrome shortcut from my desktop only to get the following message:-

'Windows cannot find C:\Program Files....\Google\Chrome.exe. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.'

I searched for the file and it definitely exists within the directory for which the shortcut references. I even tried double clicking on the program logo directly from the source directory and got the same error message.

I thought it was probably just a bugged out bit of software so uninstalled and then attempted to reinstall via Internet Explorer. The install shows as successful but the same error message occurs when I try to launch Chrome. I dug a little deeper and the problem also extends to Firefox and to Safari. The Firefox launch shows a slightly different error message (something about 'null' - I forgot to note down the error message I'll update this evening) but the same basic problem arises.

So, I went to browsing with IE for a while as I needed to look some stuff up for work and I noticed periodically I壇 search for something via Google (or any other search engine) and upon clicking on a search result it would take me to a different website.

I rebooted my PC to see if things would go away (the IT helpdesk at work always tells me to reboot if I致e got a problem!) although I know enough about IT that I知 fairly sure thats not going to solve my problems. In fact, it actually makes things worse/identifies a new problem as upon start-up I get the following error message:-

"The application or dll 舛:\......\vbuvfy.dll is not a valid windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette."

I知 pretty certain at this point that I must have some (or more) malware on my PC so I tried to clean things up a little. I did a little digging around and downloaded some additonal anti-virus software (Kaspersky and Hitman Pro 3.5) which have managed to deal with the vbuvfy.dll trojan and the browser redirect issues respectively. Neither of these pieces of software have identified any further issues and I知 still having the same problem in respect of Chrome/Firefox etc.

I知 now wondering whether I知 still infected or whether the Chrome issue is something more innocent (I知 suspecting the former). Any help would be hugely appreciated. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jrap101

jrap101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:38 PM

bump

#3 jrap101

jrap101