Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS not detecting Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Poll: Am I screwed? (0 member(s) have cast votes)

Am I screwed?

1. Yes (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. No (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Maybe (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 walmartlgc

walmartlgc

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 24 June 2010 - 03:37 AM

Hello BC, this is my first post here, and im desperate!

Basic Problem description : Computer is an HP desktop running XP. When turning on computer, after bios screen, the words "operating system not detected" appear. When inside bios setup, primary master, slave read "none". Both cdrom floppy are detected. Both hard drives inside the computer are not detected

Full details : (sorry about all the details, but i wanted to give all the info i could)

A friend of mine asked me to install a virus scanner for her because she was about to get the internet at her house for the first time, so I took her pc to my house. I installed malware bytes and avast, then did an overnight full scan with avast and it detected around 78 infected files (including a rouge/fake virus scanner). Shes says she had gotten the computer from a friend some years back so i guess they had gotten the infections then and my friend had just been dealing with them while playing her games. I just deleted them all, then proceeded to do a windows update. The computer hadnt been updated for many years, as it still had IE 6 i believe. I installed service pack 3, and then did a restart. When it came back up it started my avast bootscan that i forgot i had scheduled. The scan detected a virus in the temp internet files and asked me what i wanted to do, however i had not plugged in the keyboard and after plugging it in It would not detect, so i had to do a reset. After turning it back on and getting past the bios screen it said "Operating System not detected". I have reseated the connections on both hard drives in many different ways, leaving one off with the other connected and vice versa but nothing. Both hard drives power up ( i can feel vibrations, hear the fan i guess) I pulled out both hard drives and connected them one by one to my personal pc. One of them detects on my computer and the other doesnt. The one that detects is the one with the operating system and her files, so i wasnt to concerned with the other one. I pulled all her documents off and saved it and reconnected that hard drive back to her computer, using the cd rom cable. Still nothing.

Ive tried the extra IDE slot to connect that hd and the only difference is it skips the bios screen and goes straight to the operating system message.

Ive pulled the battery to reset the cmos, no luck

Ive used both options in the bios to reset all settings, no luck.

On the bios loadup screen, it reads hit f1 for setup, hit f10 for recovery console/options (or something like that), i hit f10 and it gives the operating system message. On the hard drive that works and is connected to my pc it has 2 partitions, one being a recovery partition.

I would try putting one of my hard drives in her pc, but everything i have is sata, and she has no sata ports (motherboard is really old)

Anyone have any suggestions please? I dont wanna tell her that i possibly messed up her computer, even though i have no clue what i did

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 walmartlgc

walmartlgc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:37 PM

update. I found an old ide 2.5 inch laptop hard drive and stuck it in there with an adapter. it detects it, but gives the message "hard disk is not system drive" or something similair. The bios still does not detect the HD with windows on it. I have done a scandisc with the western digital specific utility and it detected no errors, and i used the one that windows provided and it detected nothing. The bios does however detect the the blank extra hd that was in there now (seems to detect it every other time). I cant seem to get the computer to boot from cd though (with windows repair disc), even though ive changed the boot order, it might just be the disc though, ima burn another one. Any other suggestions please?

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 27 June 2010 - 03:20 PM

Shes says she had gotten the computer from a friend some years back

Ive pulled the battery to reset the cmos, no luck

You could try a NEW battery. Failing batteries can cause weird things to happen. Batteries are very inexpensive and if it doesn't solve all or part of the problem at least you didn't spend a bundle on something that didn't work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users