Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Won't boot past splash screen, in safe mode now

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 I_Love_Lamp

I_Love_Lamp

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:19 PM

I'm running Win XP Media Center Edition SP1 2002 now (I reformatted, used to have SP2 installed.) and only recently have I been experiencing this mysterious issue that frustrates me to no end. A little tidbit of information before I go on, somebody installed Windows Virtual Machine (with a windows 98 download from some forum) maybe a week ago. That's when the start-up problems began, so I'm led to believe that this could be the culprit. I have no idea.
Anyway, when it first refused to fully boot, it couldn't get to the Win XP splash screen. I had somebody look at it. He went to the Setup menu and restored it to the optimized defaults. Either that temporarily cured it, or we were lucky. It started up normally and I didn't turn off the computer for maybe two days. After I finally DID shut it down, the problem persisted, however this time it WOULD get to the splash screen, but nothing else. Returning it to the optimized defaults would do nothing. Since the computer was old, slow and flooded with programs I myself didn't install, I thought it was a good time to just reformat the whole darn thing and start fresh. Thirty minutes later, I try to boot up, guess what, the same thing happens. Nothing past the splash screen. It's not like I can restore it to a past setting that worked since the OS is wiped clean. I've read about "faulty hardware" confusing the system, but nothing plugged in that I know of is faulty. Mouse, monitor, keyboard, power supply, unplugged Logitech surround sound speakers, even tried unplugging the ethernet. Nothing worked.
I know there is a sticky about this sort of problem but I need some...assistance with fixing it. I'm taking a computer career class next year, but as of now I am still a helpless script kiddie.
I'll be awake for a good while.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 23 June 2010 - 11:15 PM

Something unclear here.
You formatted and you start installing Windows.
You go through all installation steps and it won't pass splash screen on very first run?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 I_Love_Lamp

I_Love_Lamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 11:23 PM

Something unclear here.
You formatted and you start installing Windows.
You go through all installation steps and it won't pass splash screen on very first run?

Yeah. I don't remember getting to anything past the setup steps.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,470 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 11:27 PM

Most likely reasons:
- bad Windows CD (can you borrow Windows CD from a friend and try again?)
- hard drive problem
- RAM problem

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 I_Love_Lamp

I_Love_Lamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 11:33 PM

Most likely reasons:
- bad Windows CD (can you borrow Windows CD from a friend and try again?)
- hard drive problem
- RAM problem

-I didn't use a windows CD to reformat the computer; didn't ask for one. So I don't think that's a factor.
-Could be. But I'm still trying to find out what conked it out.
-Maybe. Again, I don't know what could *permanently, after reformatting* mess up the RAM/Hard drive.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,470 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 11:41 PM

What did you use to format hard drive and reinstall Windows, if not Windows CD?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 I_Love_Lamp

I_Love_Lamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 11:46 PM

What did you use to format hard drive and reinstall Windows, if not Windows CD?

Just the recovery menu. I was looking for the CD for days until I found out I could just do it without it

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,470 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 11:57 PM

I see.
Recovery partition may be corrupted then.
I'd try to call your computer maker to get recovery disks. Usually you can get them just for shipping charges.

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users