Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Precision 670 SCSI Controller Driver Problem -HDD not found (Video and Pictures)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Zuluster

Zuluster

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:46 PM

Hey everyone,
I recently picked up a Dell Precision 670 Desktop and I'm trying to reinstall Windows XP Professional on it. The problem I'm having is that when it boots, the bios recognized the drives as you will see in the video below, but then when the windows installation loads, it cannot find any drives. The hard drives are plugged in to an Adaptec AIC-7901 controller. As shown in the video I've already tried installing the controller driver by pressing F6 during the installation load, it confirms the driver and installs it but still can't find the HDDs.

I'm guessing I either have the wrong driver or I'm doing something wrong here. I've also attached photos of the harddrives and where they are plugged in to on the motherboard. The Bios also says "Bios not installed!" on boot (again in the video). Been working at this for a while and can't figure it out, any help would be appreciated.

51t7-4-B1UY

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zuluster

Zuluster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:34 PM

Just figured it out on another forum, I went here and downloaded the first driver. Installed that onto a floppy disk and booted up the computer with the Windows XP Pro Installation disk in. Booted the installation from the disk, pressed F6 when the option came up and after the files loaded I pressed "S" to select the driver. Inserted the floppy with the driver on it, installed it and when I continued on with the installation, it finally found the HDDs.

#3 DieselBurn

DieselBurn

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:40 PM

I have the exact same problem...and knowing this is a pretty old issue...I tried the exact same process you worked on to resolve your issue, except when installing the 3rd party option, choosing "s" and having WS670A07.exe transfered to a floppy...it fails and asks for a txtsetup.oem file...

#4 DieselBurn

DieselBurn

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:30 PM

All good...fixed it...I had to work with a Vista CD to install the drivers...XP doesn't give me DOS options...but I think I'll just remain with Vista and not mess with this irritating Dell 670...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users