Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Failure Error With Dvd Player (dos)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 fastwaves

fastwaves

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 13 October 2005 - 10:49 PM

OS = Windows ME
HP Pavlion 9870 (2002)

The other night I had to "hard boot" my computer because it had locked up. The only way to restart was to turn the power off an on. Now when the computer starts to boot up to Windows I get an error and it appears it is with the DVD ROM because the language is in DOS format and the error message immediately follows the DVD ROM on screen. Here is the message...

Atapi CD ROM Pioneer DVD-ROM DVD-116Atapi Model 016
ERROR 0615: Com B configuration changed

I get two choices - GO TO SET UP F1 or BYPASS F2.

F1 - takes me somwhere out of my league

F2 - allows the computer to continue to load and Windows opens successfully.

I checked the driver for DVD ROM and it looks fine. It even says the device is working properly.

I'm just trying to understand where the problem is. Could it be a worm or virus. I did remove a worm, but that was after this problem occurred. WORM_VB.AS was the culprit

Please let me know what details I can provide. Thanks for your help.

Fastwaves

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 16 October 2005 - 07:39 PM

F1 probably takes you to the Bios. Is there an option in there to Auto-detect hard drives? If so, use that.

Is this a recent problem? Was the DVD drive previously installed and operating without this error?

How is the DVD drive recognized? Is it the Master or the Slave (Secondary Master or Slave)?

Edited by Leurgy, 16 October 2005 - 07:40 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2005 - 06:05 PM

Generally F1 or F2 will take you to the BIOS on an HP. And my son's HP (vintage 2000) has autodetect in the BIOS.

Don't worry about messing with the BIOS. It's intimidating, but if you hose a setting you can reset the BIOS to it's default by removing the little CMOS battery for 30 seconds (with the cord unplugged also).

What you're looking for should be in the first option on the left once you enter the BIOS. Go into this option, find your DVD by scrolling down to it, and press Enter - then scroll through the settings until you find the option to Auto detect it. Run this, then exit and save the changes.

If this was your problem - it should be fixed now. If not, there's plenty more troubleshooting to do!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 fastwaves

fastwaves
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2005 - 10:36 PM

F1 probably takes you to the Bios. Is there an option in there to Auto-detect hard drives? If so, use that.

Is this a recent problem? Was the DVD drive previously installed and operating without this error?

How is the DVD drive recognized? Is it the Master or the Slave (Secondary Master or Slave)?

Thanks for your reply.

Is this a recent problem? Yes, it is a recent problem. Yes, the DVD drive was working prior to this happening.

How is the DVD drive recognized?I believe you would refer to it as a Secondary Master. The HP Pavilion 9870 has two DISC drives. The CD-RW is on top. I believe this is the main CD ROM and then the DVD underneath is secondary. The DVD is just a player.

I will check and see if the BIOS has an option to auto detect hard drives.

Again, thank you...Fastwaves

#5 fastwaves

fastwaves
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2005 - 12:54 AM

F2 takes you to the Phoenix Bios Setup Utility. I did not see the autodetect function, but I can look again. In the meantime, I think I have determined the following.

1. The DVD ROM is a Secondary Slave.

2. The DVD ROM is actually working.

It appears that I have a "ghost" drive on my system. There is now an F drive that I don't think should be listed. I have the following.

Floppy (A)
Computer ©
Hard Drive (D)
Hard Drive (E)
Compact Disc (F)
Compact Disc (M)
Compact Disc (N)

There are one too many Compact Disc Drives. The software, Adaptec Direct CD, seems to be having problems and crashes. I can get it to work, but something is definitely up. I wonder how this is related to the error I get at startup "ERROR 0615: Com B configuration changed".

Fastwaves

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2005 - 03:55 AM

That error no doubt refers to your "ghost drive". I would uninstall the Adaptec software, go into Device Manager and remove both DVD Drives and and reboot. Windows will redetect and reinstall the DVD Drive on its own. Its your call whether you want to reinstall the Adaptec.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 fastwaves

fastwaves
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2005 - 09:59 PM

That error no doubt refers to your "ghost drive". I would uninstall the Adaptec software, go into Device Manager and remove both DVD Drives and and reboot. Windows will redetect and reinstall the DVD Drive on its own. Its your call whether you want to reinstall the Adaptec.

Thanks. From what I can see Drive F is labeled as a Generic DVD drive while Drive N is the Atapi DVD drive. Couldn't I just remove the Generic DVD drive and see what happens? Also, I know where the device manager is, but how do you remove the DVD Drives in the Device Manager? I'm just trying to work through this as carefully as possible.

Edited by fastwaves, 24 October 2005 - 10:01 PM.

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2005 - 09:56 PM

You open Device Manager, highlight the device you want to remove and click the remove button. It really doesn't matter which one you remove but the most suspicious one should be tried first. Since having an F: drive makes sense I would leave that one alone and remove the M: and N: drives. The proper letter there should be G:. That drive will be redected on reboot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users