Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Exporting/importing Outlook Express Mail Messages

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 polaris6

polaris6

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 13 October 2005 - 10:36 PM

(1) I need to move OE mail messages from one computer to another. I am confident that my issue is not the first time this has come up.

Please refer me to the article/discussion where direction has been given to the expoting and importing of OE mail messages.

(2) I have the dbx files saved from an installation of about 6 months ago (including the 'folders.dbx file) and I cannot get these files imported.

(3) How can I import a single message folder, like the 'Inbox' from one computer to another? If this can be done, and I import the inbox.dbx file into another computer that also has an inbox.dbx file, will the imported file replace the file that is resident? Will the names of the mail folders imported have to be changed to be different from those that are resident on the computer to which the importation process is to take place?

Thanks.

george

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 13 October 2005 - 11:39 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;270670

I found this reference in an earlier post in the forum.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 14 October 2005 - 02:45 AM

Back up your entire Registry!!!. Trust me. I went thru this several weeks ago. It is a fairly easy job, but involves working with the registry. I ended up corrupting only part of my registry and was able to recover form the registry on the old computer.
I have done it but don't feel comfortable talking you thru it. Sorry. I just wanted to let you know from my personal experinece things can good bad with the click of a mouse button.
Remember working with the registry is like riding a motorcycle. There are two types of people. The one who have crashed and the ones that will crash. Please backup your entire reg. I back mine up every 3 to 4 weeks just incase something happens.
Good luck.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 luci2a

luci2a

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2005 - 04:25 AM

Hi polaris6 (george)
If you don't mind spending a small amount a little program called Express Assist does it all for you very simply.
http://www.eazy-ware.com/ea7.html
It does have a 2 week free trial period!
I back my OE settings up every 2 days (it reminds me). It also backs up IE favourites, altho I don't use IE any more. When I got a new pc I just backed up onto a CD and transferred the whole lot in one easy procedure. I use it because I'm not at all confident about messing around in the registry and for me it was money well spent.
You may be more confident than I am! :thumbsup:

Luci2a

#5 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2005 - 09:19 PM

Thanks for the tips. The references focus on importing the entire set of mail messages. Part 3. of my question was directed to importing a single (or maybe more, but not all) of the messages.

I had to do this about 2 years ago. I found an article that 'talked me through' the process and it was quite simple ( i cannot find that article or reference now). The process did not involve messing with the registry.

As I remember,

(1) you locate where the messages are stored (for the Maintenance tab).

(2) copy all those files to a folder on the c-drive (the folders.dbx file must be included).

(3) from OE mail message page, IMPORT.

(4) 'Messages', for stored directory, Browse to where they are stored on the C-drive.

here is where I can't remember the next steps. It involves either selecting all the folders, or selective folders, and, I don't remember if I import a folder of the same name that I am importing to, will the resident file be written over, or will the new messages be added to the resident messages.

That is what I remember. I wish I could find the article.

george

#6 pwgib

pwgib

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,956 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 15 October 2005 - 01:02 AM

Look here:

http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/faqs/

PW
PW