Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video keeps cutting out

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lightsabermario

lightsabermario

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:49 PM

My grandpa's computer has this problem where the video to the monitor keeps cutting out. The monitor still registers as being on, but nothing is being transmitted. When you turn the monitor off and then back on again, it'll come back up for a short while, sometimes only a few seconds, before the video cuts out again. Sometimes you'll get a couple of minutes of it working fine right after startup before it starts cutting out. The computer itself isn't crashing: the fans are still running, the computer is still wherever it was before the video cuts out, and we can even type stuff while the video is out. We've determined that the monitor itself is not the culprit, since that works fine when it's hooked up to another computer. For some reason, the computer runs fine in safe mode, and that's how I'm able to compose this message without constantly restarting the monitor. We also cleaned out the insides of the computer with a can of compressed air and a vaccuum, and it was choked with dust. Afterwards, it seemed to run a little better and last longer in normal mode, but the video inevitably started cutting out again.

I was thinking the problem might have something to do with the video card, but I'm not sure. The computer is an HP Media Center PC m1070n, running Windows XP Service Pack 3, with a Radeon X300 series graphics card.

Also, coincidentally, my own computer started developing a similar problem. With my computer, whenever the monitor is off for more than a few hours, when I try to turn it on, it will come up and then the video will immediately cut out. After restarting the monitor about 30-40 times it will finally stay on and won't cut out anymore. It'll be fine until you leave the monitor off for a few hours again. I figure it's probably a minor version of the same problem, so I'll try whatever solution you come up with for my grandpa's computer on mine as well.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 24 June 2010 - 12:45 PM

Are the latest drivers installed?
[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#3 lightsabermario

lightsabermario
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:29 PM

I just downloaded the ATI Catalyst Display Driver which is a legacy driver for old video cards. I ran the driver installation, and in the middle of the installation I got a message box that said "Severe" in the title box and said: "Setup did not find a driver compatible with your current hardware or operating system. Setup will now exit." I selected the correct driver on the website (Desktop Graphics, Radeon X Series, Radeon X3xx Series, Windows XP - Media Center Edition) so it's not like it's trying to find the wrong one, so why can't it find a new driver, or any driver for our card? And could this be the source of the problem?

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:06 PM

I believe this is the driver you installed correct? http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/wind...mp;lang=English

You downlaoded the 10.2 revision dated 2/24/2010 correct?

My next question is, is this video card an on-board one or an expansion slot card?

If you investigate and find the video card is on-board you will need to go to the Hewlett Packard web site for your graphics card drivers suited for your motherboard.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 lightsabermario

lightsabermario
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:26 PM

That's the driver I was trying to install. And no, it's a video card that plugs into an expansion slot, not one that's built into the motherboard. While checking, we also tried reseating the video card to see if that would work, but the problem is still there in normal mode.

EDIT: I just tried installing the driver while in normal mode (inbetween constantly turning the monitor back on) and it actually finished. It gave a new message that the driver hadn't undergone the Windows logo testing, but I said Continue Anyway, and it finished. Sadly, after restarting, it turns out the problem is still there in normal mode. Afterwards, I checked the driver, and it now says ATI RADEON X300/X550/X1050 Series, and the details say version number 8.593.100.0 and the driver date was 2/10/2010.

Edited by lightsabermario, 25 June 2010 - 07:02 PM.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:15 AM

hmm? so the 10.2 driver didnt install then, you ended up with an earlier version.

I reread your opening post and noticed you said the computer was choked with dust, this dust may have caused permanent damage to the video cards processor or a component on the card its self.

Since you said it runs ok in safemode, where the video card is at 800x600 pixels and probably in 16 colors, it servives because the processor is at standard speed and is not generating any heat.

It might be safe to say the video card its self has subcumbed to heat damage and needs to be retired.

As a last resort, before discarding the video card, you could try cooking the video card.

If what I said above strikes you as strange, well it has been done and has in some cases cause a dead, faulty card to function normally again.

Here's the recipe.

Preheat an conventional oven to 300 Degrees F.

In the meantime check the video card for any plastic parts that might melt from the heat, remove those if you can.

Once the oven is up to 300 degrees F. Place the video card into the oven as level as possible and wait 10 minutes, turn off the oven and wait 10 more minutes, then open the door to the oven to allow cooling to continue, DO NOT MOVE THE CARD! After 30 minutes remove the card and try it again in the computer.

Point of doing this is to re-flow the solder on the connections on the video cards components, sometimes this corrects a hidden faulty solder connection on the board.

Good luck and if you try it and it fails, try it a second time, sometimes it takes 2 or 3 attempts before the connection seals again.

Conclusion, if that fails to correct the problem, the card's processor has over heated to the point its core is failing and needs replacement.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 26 June 2010 - 01:20 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:43 PM

Fortunately, such a card is cheap to replace these days. You could try getting the same model or upgrade to a modern low-end card.
Both the Geforce 210 and Radeon HD 5450 are more powerful than that card.
[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users