Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing windows 7 over vista?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OmarGosh

OmarGosh

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:03 PM

Ok, i got my laptop a little less than a year ago. This was before windows 7 was released. There was a promotion going on that any laptop bought after a certain day would be eligable for a free upgrade to windows 7. Long story short, i got a disc for windows 7 in the mail, installed it and selected the option that kept all the files currently on the computer. When i started using windows 7 the speed got SIGNICIFANTLY slower. It was unbareable, so i used the hard drive partition and reverted back to the factory settings to get vista back. I am starting to think that the only reason windows 7 was slower than vista was because i installed windows 7 over vista, and kept all the files. Could this be a possibility? I know windows 7 is suppose to be more light weight and efficient than vista, and nobody i know has had a problem with 7, just me. Right now my computer is a little unstable with the google redirect just taken care of, i am afraid its still not secure yet, and just want a fresh start, and also want to try install windows 7 again, except not keep all the files on my computer. So here are my questions:

1. Will installing windows 7 over vista without keeping the files make sure that windows 7 will run efficiently?
2. Could it be that windows 7 just doesnt work well with my laptop and i should not try installing it again?

Any other suggestions on what i should do would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OmarGosh

OmarGosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2010 - 12:20 AM

Does anyone have a suggestion..?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:43 PM

Generally...it's always better to do a clean install of an O/S...even if a "upgrade" install appears to be possible.

IMO, it's the difference between starting anew...and starting with excess baggage of unknown weight.

Since you provided no details regarding what your laptop might be (manufacturer and model), it's extremely difficult for anyone to comment on it's capability for Win 7.

But...Microsoft has a page for you...http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/.

Louis

#4 OmarGosh

OmarGosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2010 - 07:01 PM

I know for a fact its compatible with windows 7. Its an acer aspire 5512. I know its compatible because windows 7 was sent to me free BY acer because the laptop was bought so close the the release of windows 7 that they were giving it for free with the purchase of their laptop. And i also used the windows 7 compatibility application and it said the 32 bit version would work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users