Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

photo software and jpg file duplication

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kfrank

Kfrank

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:01 PM

I'm pretty uninformed on this computer maintenance stuff, so hope someone can give me basic guidance. I have decided that I have too many PHOTO software programs on my computer that are EACH saving copies of any photo I transfer to my computer. Inadvertantly discovered there are over 5000 jpg files on my laptop. MY QUESTION: how do I chose which photo program to keep and which to delete? How do I delete these programs safely and not delete my photos? A sample of the programs on my laptop: Windows photo gallery, Windows Movie Maker, Apple for Iphone (husbands phone), Nokia PC Suite, camera Assistant. HP photosmart, FinePix, Arc Soft photobase and maybe others. I know this is probably a dumb error on my part, but don't know how to manage all this "stuff". HELP! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:57 PM

Usually deleting the programs won't delete the photos with them. They usually copy them to their own directory. If you can find the directory and delete all the copies, you'll have the other ones wherever you initially put them.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#3 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,609 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:06 PM

No, I have a few photo editing and management programs installed and none of them have duplicate copies of jpeg files in any directories--I believe you both misunderstand how how these kind of programs work. It is correct, tho that uninstalling a photo related program will not delete any of your photos.

These programs don't have to make duplicate copies of a jpeg file/photo in order to show it to you ar allow you to manipulate it and organize it into the files and folders that you want. You are opening the photo file with the program, but the file exists in whatever folder it was in in the first place--usually a subfolder of My Documents/My Pictures. Any files and folders you see in a photo management/organizer section of the program should be the same as if you were using Windows Explorer--all you are doing is using the program's interface instead of Windows'. They are both acting as file managers.

The program may allow you to create "albums", but those are most likely virtual folders and won't have any duplications of jpeg files. When you edit a photo, changes are made in temporary files and folders and those are deleted when you close the editor. No copy of the photo file will be made unless you choose to "Save As", and then that won't be an exact duplicate because you have made changes to it. Plus the copy is only made because you want to make it. The only exception to this that I know of is in Picassa--when you save changes after editing, it treats the command similar to if you had asked it to "save as", and then creates a subfolder named Originals, and saves a copy of the file as it existed before you made changes to it. That is basically a backup. Backups are a good thing. Backups are another way that you may find a second copy of your photo files, as some programs give you the option of backing up your photos for you. But that is usually done by your choice.

So really, unless I'm missing something, you just have 5000 photos--are they all on your hard drive?--and there shouldn't be any duplicates unless you've chosen to make some backups. If that is too many for you, then you should move some of them to CD/DVD--and if any of them are backups you should do this anyway as they won't do you any good if your hard drive crashes.

As with any program, if you don't use it you can uninstall it. But you have mentioned some programs that do more than edit and manage photos. The Nokia and iPhone software you may need their other functions to sync with your mobile devices, camera software may be more convenient than using other software to copy photos from your camera to your hard drive, even tho you may be able to do that with other programs. Same with ArcSoft--but that is commercial software if I'm not mistaken, so you might as well get your money's worth out of it. The Microsoft Windows apps are considered "components" of the Operating System so are not as straight forward to have uninstalled so I wouldn't bother. Besides, Movie Maker is a nice app and if you ever get into video editing you can make good use of it--it primarily is a video editing program, not photo editing, even tho you can insert still photos into your movie. No duplicates in it either as the clips and any other files in the panes are temporary and is why you need a good deal of free space on your hard drives to do video editing.

So bottom line is if you use it, keep it and don't worry about duplicate files. My photo editor of choice is Picassa, but I also use some features of Paint Shop Pro Studio and an old program from HP has a crop tool that I like.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2010 - 08:17 PM

I will add...some of those graphics files...belong to Windows and installed programs.

I'm not sure how you arrived at that number...but the only way that I know to get an accurate count of graphics files is to use the Search function in XP for all the different graphics formats.

By doing this...you can see exactly where they are filed.

If you want...you can then move all those which are not tied to a program or Windows...to one central folder. This folder can then be accessed by any graphics editor that you might have installed, whenever you want to edit, duplicate, etc. a given file.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users