Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recent attempt to attack your computer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MorMor

MorMor

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 23 June 2010 - 04:58 PM

I have Windows XP Pro and Norton 360. Frequently as soon as I plug into "online" the 360 window comes up to say "A recent attempt to attack your computer was blocked". When I look att eh details, the sending IP addresses are different. My browser is often directed to a site totally different than one I was trying to reach. My DVD burner is not working correctly and I don't know if this virus is also the cause of this malfunction.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 23 June 2010 - 05:18 PM

I guess I don't understand the problem.

A firewall is supposed to block attempted intruders...I would expect the IP addresses for such attempts to be different.

Have you read the instructions for using Norton 360?

Louis

#3 Michael York

Michael York

Authorized Symantec Representative

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:27 PM

Hi MorMor,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

Can you please tell me which version of Norton 360 you have installed. You can determine this by opening Norton 360, choose "Help & Support->About."

You should also run Windows Update to make sure you have the latest critical patches from Microsoft installed as well.

This message indicates that the Norton Firewall is doing it's job by blocking an attack on your computer. Sometimes your ISP may notice a strange pattern of traffic coming from your PC and may send out a "sniffer" to determine what is going on. However, the fact that you are being redirected in your web browser and are being constantly warned of the intrusion attempt, leads me to believe that your computer is infected.

The latest version of Norton 360 is version 4.X. If by chance you are using version 3 and your subscription is valid, you are entitled to a free update to version 4 and we always recommend that our customers have the latest version installed, so that you are protected against the latest threats. If you need to update, please visit the Norton Update Center.

Norton Update Center

If you already have version 4 installed, manually run LiveUpdate, possibly multiple times, until you are informed there are no more updates available. Next, restart your computer into Windows Safe Mode, launch Norton 360 and complete a "Comprehensive System Scan" to check for threats.

Let me know if any threats were found, and if so, the name(s) and weather or not Norton 360 was able to remove them.

Thank you,
Mike

I have Windows XP Pro and Norton 360. Frequently as soon as I plug into "online" the 360 window comes up to say "A recent attempt to attack your computer was blocked". When I look att eh details, the sending IP addresses are different. My browser is often directed to a site totally different than one I was trying to reach. My DVD burner is not working correctly and I don't know if this virus is also the cause of this malfunction.

Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users