Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pixelated/Black desktop screen

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 richroyal09

richroyal09

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 23 June 2010 - 01:53 PM

okay about a day or so ago i left the computer running all night only to turn the monitor on in the morning to see it all pixelated and fuzzy looking after a quick reboot the winxp load screen finishes and then the screen either goes black or is all fuzzy looking when it gets to the desktop and i cannot click on anything and it has got hung up on reboot a few times it even started to reboot on its own a few times consistently by itself now note that i can log in using safe mode which took more than a few tries anyway i have not changed or installed any new software so this one is really confusing please help! my os is winxp home edition

Edited by richroyal09, 23 June 2010 - 02:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:19 AM

Hi -
The last time I described my screen looking Pixilated it was because of a faulty Power Supply Unit -
I do not know how to diagnose this over the internet but any repairer can check this in a few mins -
Cryptodan or hamluis may have an idea of how to check this -
Maybe if you Google CPUID Wizard (free) download program that gives information on your system -
Thank You -

EDIT -
The only other thing I can think of is your Video Card -

Edited by noknojon, 25 June 2010 - 03:35 AM.

#3 richroyal09

richroyal09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2010 - 03:40 PM

are you sure because sometimes it gets to the blue welcome screen then it starts blinking from that screen to black its really wierd i know its not a virus but i was thinking maybe the black screen of death but another thing in safe mode everything is fine no fuzzy blurriness just when i boot up in normal mode so you think it still has something to do with the power? and how do i contact Hamluis and Crytodan

Edited by richroyal09, 25 June 2010 - 12:50 AM.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:05 AM

Can you please do the following:

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

#5 richroyal09

richroyal09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:55 PM

now note that all the categories except for graphics say cannot initialize cpu dll and for graphics it says this service cannot be started in safe mode also iam posting this in safe mode with networking because in normal mode i cant get past the welcome screen

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/fbFfw2IN1LL0Y4Tq4X8sCG3

Edited by richroyal09, 25 June 2010 - 05:00 PM.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:01 PM

Then your video card is dying. You need to replace it.

#7 richroyal09

richroyal09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:20 PM

okay so let me get this straight because it says cant initialize the cpu dll that means i need a new video card? i just want to be sure before i go off to buy a new one there is absolutely nothing else that you can recommend trying before i go purchase one? and what kind should i look out for pc video cards because i plan on purchasing one off of e-bay

Edited by richroyal09, 25 June 2010 - 11:16 PM.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:31 PM

okay so let me get this straight because it says cant initialize the cpu dll that means i need a new video card? i just want to be sure before i go off to buy a new one there is absolutely nothing else that you can recommend trying before i go purchase one? and what kind should i look out for pc video cards because i plan on purchasing one off of e-bay

If I am not mistaken you ran speccy in safe mode, if this is the case you have to realize that safemode is starting the operating system with limited drivers, therefore the speccy software would say they are not active.

I am assuming you have an expansion card for a video card, if this is the case, try removing the video card and re-insert it back into the slot and restart the computer, see if this clears up the artifacts on your video screen also try checking out this web site for diagnosing video problems. http://www.playtool.com/pages/troubleshooting/intro.html

Good luck.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 25 June 2010 - 11:36 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 03:33 AM

Please do not purchase one from e-Bay they could be damaged, and the likelihood that a company would accept the warranty on it if it does fail is pretty much non-existent. Please shop from a reputable online dealer such as http://www.tigerdirect.com or http://www.newegg.com. You will have a far better warranty program and get the best bang for the buck.

You need a new video card because what you are describing is known as artifacting which is caused by a failing video card component such as: video ram, gpu, or just basic ware and tear of the electrical components. When you boot into safe mode the drivers are not communicating with the video card to provide its full functionality. This is why I suspect bad video ram. I have had this happen before, and the only solution was a new video card.

#10 richroyal09

richroyal09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:51 PM

you guys were totally right i took out the graphics card only to notice that all of the fuses were blown. I guess that would explain the popping noises i would hear often while the computer sat idle. I then ordered a brand new one with a 3 yr. warranty on it and now everything is smooth no more frustrating artifacts

sorry it took me so long to reply but thank you so much if this thread is not closed yet you may close it.........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users