Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combofix for WDWS7 64-bit

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sago Computers

Sago Computers

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:08 PM

Will their be a Combofix for 64-bit anytime soon?

Edit: Moved topic from Win 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:20 PM

ComboFix usage, Questions, Help - Look here - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/273628/combofix-usage-questions-help-look-here/

Louis

#3 Rimster

Rimster

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:23 PM

Sadly that particular page doesn't answer the OP's question. It just says that CF isn't compatible with 64-bit but we know that. We'd like to know if there are plans to make one. It has been something I've run into a lot more frequently these days. Most computers bought recently, in my experience, have come with the 64-bit version of Win7 so more and more often I'm not able to use this wonderful tool.

I'm looking at a laptop right now that has one of those nasty fake anti-virus malwares that ComboFix kills quite easily but it's a 64-bit system so CF isn't an option. This is probably the third time this month alone I've not been able to use CF because of this. So I ask again, are there any plans to have a 64bit version of CF any time soon or even at all. If not what other tool would you recommend that WILL run on 64 bit.

Thanks,
Rim

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,570 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:09 PM

It is very unlikely that there will be a 64-bit version of CF since that OS is more secure than a 32-bit system. Due to the architecture in 64-bit Windows and the fact that 64-bit drivers need to be digitally signed, rootkits are not seen as often in 64-bit machines so they are less prone to that type of infection.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:08 AM

Sadly that particular page doesn't answer the OP's question.

It does now.
l
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 Rimster

Rimster

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:08 AM

OK thanks for that update. There was just too much ambiguity in a lot of what I read previously, things like 'very unlikely' and 'not seen as often' and ' less prone' that kept me hoping. I can give up hope now, hehe. Keep up the great work though!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users