Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hacked?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cool runnings

cool runnings

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 23 June 2010 - 11:08 AM

Hi.
What does it mean when My Entire Address Book Received Spam from my E-mail Address? :thumbsup:
I (obviously) did not send these 2 separate e-mails containing Spam (Canadian pharmacy, etc), but it appears that EVERYBODY in my contacts/address book was sent them from my AOL e-mail address that i've had for about a decade now.
So, my question's are:
1) WHY/HOW DID THIS HAPPENED?
2) WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW?

I would like to THANK YOU in advance for any info, advice, suggestions etc that may help me to understand what/why this happened, and what I should do next. :flowers:

EDIT: Moved from XP to Am I Infected forum ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 23 June 2010 - 11:18 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cool runnings

cool runnings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:09 PM

Thank you, hamluis, for the edit :thumbsup:
Now I understand a bit more how to post on here in order to get the most out of this.
Thanks again!

#3 cool runnings

cool runnings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2010 - 12:22 PM

Wow. No replies yet :thumbsup:? or info, suggestions for me yet? I'm a bit surprised.
BTW, I'm running:
WINDOWS XP,
SP3
SAFARI
AOL E-MAIL

I've changed my aol e-mail password, cleared cache, cookies.
Still wondering how/why this happened?
Or any subsequent steps I should take regarding this matter.
Hope to hear from someone soon. Thanks! :flowers:

#4 floridaze

floridaze

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:31 PM

I sure would like to hear from somebody soon too. I've posted similar questions in recent days. SURELY it's happening to others besides the two of us? It hasn't happened TO me, in that my account has not been spamming people, but I get a ton of those spam links from hacked/infected users every single day.

HELP! Somebody! Anybody!

Wow. No replies yet :thumbsup:? or info, suggestions for me yet? I'm a bit surprised.
BTW, I'm running:
WINDOWS XP,
SP3
SAFARI
AOL E-MAIL

I've changed my aol e-mail password, cleared cache, cookies.
Still wondering how/why this happened?
Or any subsequent steps I should take regarding this matter.
Hope to hear from someone soon. Thanks! :flowers:

#5 JillAZ

JillAZ

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 25 June 2010 - 01:29 PM

I've also been waiting for days now. Same exact problem as poster, but running Yahoo mail on XP3. Everyone in my contact list has received a link for some canadian pharmacy. A reply would be excellent.

#6 chessgod101

chessgod101

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 25 June 2010 - 01:44 PM

The sending of spam messages through your email client seems to be the work of malware. A great free utility to remove stubborn viruses such as this one is superantispyware. Try a full scan with superantispyware and then post the results here.
You may also attempt to change your email password and the secret question and answer used for password recovery in case someone has stolen it.
Download to superantispyware free is here:
http://www.superantispyware.com/downloadfi...ANTISPYWAREFREE

Edited by chessgod101, 25 June 2010 - 01:54 PM.

#7 Straythe

Straythe

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 27 June 2010 - 07:13 AM

These forums do get really busy and posts sometimes get overlooked. The BC team usually looks for single posts with 0 replies; a longer thread like this one can get lost. I'm not a team member here but maybe I can help:

MalwareBytes Anti-Malware is a good frontline program to start with. Instructions by Budapest are here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1818158

ATFCleaner and SAS (SuperAntiSpyware) also get a lot of use. Instructions by boopme (and MBAM instructions) are here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1816831

I'd suggest running these cleaners and each of you make a new thread with the logs from your scan. That should help get you started.

Good luck - Straythe
***"When you surround an enemy, leave an outlet free [...] to make him believe there is a road to safety, and thus prevent his fighting with the courage of despair." Sun Tzu ***

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users