Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 vozzyy

vozzyy

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:54 AM

Need help...I recently loaded Microsoft simulator X on my pc and a new yoke controller from logitech. I was using it the other day changing settings on the controller and the BSOD came up. I cant boot to safe mode or anything else..also it tells me when it boots the floppy is missing. Bios says sato not present as well as ide not present.I tried to swap the memory around with no luck. Everything i do it goes back to BSOD. Bad thing is I cant find the windows cd that came with it. Could it be bad memory? Has the factory dram in it. Dont wanna upgrade yet unless thats the problem. I've tried everything I know how to do. If I download a program off another puter will it start on mine? any suggestions would be great.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 23 June 2010 - 11:10 AM

STOP 24 errors...generally indicate a problem with the file system (NTFS is damaged), a problem with the hard drive itself...or a damaged ntfs.sys file.

More often than not, it's one of the first two...which is not good.

STOP 24 errors have nothing to do with RAM.

I suggest trying to run the chkdsk /r command on the partition in question, first.

You can download a copy of the XP Recovery Console and create a bootable CD...from that, you will want to run the chkdsk /r command.

How to Create a Bootable XP Recovery Console CD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/276527/how-to-create-a-bootable-xp-recovery-console-cd/

How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console - http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk

If there are any error messages which occur, please write them down.

Louis

#3 vozzyy

vozzyy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 11:24 AM

Thats kinda what I figured a hard drive failure or something like that. I'll try that. When I run CHKDSK it will tell me if to chuck it out the window or not?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,232 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 11:28 AM

No :thumbsup:...chkdsk /r will try to repair what it considers to be wrong.

It may or may not be successful...that will dictate the next step, IMO.

Louis

#5 vozzyy

vozzyy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:14 PM

Cool..Ill get some cd's tonight and try it tomorrow after work..get back with ya in a few days...thanks louis....Scott

#6 vozzyy

vozzyy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:08 AM

Hey louis..gonna show you stuff Im sure you already know. What I did yesterday didnt work. The cd wouldnt boot. It booted here at work. I tried changing the boot sequence with no luck. I even tried health advisor cd. Anyways...

STOP. 0x00000024(0x00190203, 0x86F1E008, 0xC0000102, 0x000000)

When I boot....

Floppy diskette seek failure
Drive 1 not found: Serial ATA, SATA-2
F-1, F-2

I went into setup to change boot sequence. Is this right?

1. On board or USB floppy drive(not present)
2. On board Sata hard drive
3. On board IDE hard drive(not present)
4. On board or USB cr-rom drive
All other settings are at default.

I tried rebooting..Control-C.....tried windows recovery mode. That didnt work.
Hit F-8 for advanced stuff that doesnt work
Last known config
Directory restore mode
debugging
disable auto....everything I do goes back to BSOD.

None of this worked
I have Dimensions E310..This happened a few days after loading Microsoft simulator and a Logitec controller. I noticed the day before it was getting choppy and it did lock up once but corrected itself...Now its just stuck on dumb! What ya think I should try next???? Scott

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,232 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:39 AM

Well...if the Recovery Console disk works on a system...and not on your own...I'd have to say that you didn't change the boot order in the BIOS properly.

The drive containing the RC CD...needs to be set as the first boot device.

Louis

#8 vozzyy

vozzyy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:43 AM

Yes I did do that...unchecked all the others with the space bar...made cd #1...still didnt boot

Scott

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,232 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:50 AM

Error message?

If no error message...I'd have to guess that your optical drive isn't working.

Louis

#10 vozzyy

vozzyy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:18 AM

No cd error code...flashes when I put it in, just doesnt boot....goes right to the screen with the floppy seek error, hit f1 to continue..then blue screen. Time to punt?

Scott

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,232 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:40 AM

Well...did you check your drive? Did you try another bootable file in your optical drive?

I have no understanding...why would a floppy boot screen appear?

Did you burn the CD following the instructions in the link previously posted?

Louis

#12 vozzyy

vozzyy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2010 - 12:50 PM

Yes...I tried the cd here on this puter(same as mine at home) after I burned it. Yea when I boot the puter on...go by the Dell page and come up with page where it says on top "floppy diskette seek failure , Drive 1 not found, press F1 continue, F-2 for setup. Hit F-1 right to BSOD.....how would I change my drive settings? I cant get anywhere on it. Thats why I wanted ya to look at the boot sequence to see if thats right. You just un-check the other devices and check the cd drive which makes it #1 and it should boot from it right? I tried to boot the health advisor program I burned. Is that bootable? I can another one...joystick cd for example....Is the Inspiron 570 a decent PC? If it comes down to it If I forced to buy a new one, or the 560?rather go cheaper of course but dont want junk. Need good memory

Scott

#13 vozzyy

vozzyy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2010 - 07:22 PM

Ok...I got the cd to boot. Now...remember I don't have a recoveery cd. I'm at a c prompt now with a list of commands...do. I type in fixboot c:?....asking if I'm sure to partition. Not sure what to do next..trying to do this with my phone..scott

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,232 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2010 - 07:59 PM

Go back...read the instructions in Post #2...for running chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console, please.

Louis

#15 vozzyy

vozzyy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:36 AM

Ok Im gonna try that after work tonight. I feel like your losing your patience here. I've never dealt with this before so its a learning curve for me. But like I said before or Maybe Im wrong. I cant access recovery console. Its goes right to BSOD after I click on it. If i boot from the cd I press R for repair. Does its thing and says it starting windows then goes to a C:...Am I suppose to try to get into recovery console after I boot from the cd? Im getting confused with this. I might just take it to a repair shop and let them deal with it. Very frustrating. Thanks again, Scott

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users