Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Analytics Popups

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jono428

jono428

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:48 AM

I ran a system restore back to factory install. Installed COMODO firewall and Avira Antivir before I connected to my wireless network.. Then I connected and have been installing windows updates. I have been getting random popups in FireFox with blank pages with www.google-analytics.com, search.googleanalytics.com, results.google-analytics.com in the address bar.. Even on my iphone when i browse i get these popups.. I also have Spybot SD and SpywareBlaster installed. Is this malware, or just a network thing? I can't see how it can be malware I have only been on three websites since the system restore? Thank you for your help.

Edited by jono428, 23 June 2010 - 09:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 02:04 PM

If you have a router then reset it and reset your cable modem if you have one or DSL box. :thumbsup: See if that helps, does it happen on your iphone only when connected to wifi or does it happen on the cell network as well? :flowers:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 23 June 2010 - 05:15 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Analytics

http://www.customizegoogle.com/block-googl...cs-cookies.html

http://blog.techsoup.org/google-analytics

I'd say that your browser is the problem...I've never seen any such popups, but I use IE. You might check your browser settings and add-ons.

Louis

#4 jono428

jono428
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:09 PM

@computerxpds On my iphone just when i'm on this particular wifi in my house. My friends computer has the same trouble with the popups when connected to my wifi. It happens ever so often it will go to a blank page with those addresses above and every so often it will redirect to another site.

@hamluis It happens on both firefox and IE so I'm no sure what to do. How can i get malware without even going to sites after a system restore. So weird

Thank you again..

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:32 PM

If you read the links I posted...you will see that it is not malware.

Louis

#6 jono428

jono428
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2010 - 12:27 PM

Sorry i was reading them as i posted the reply.. I added the addresses to my host file and i'll see if i get them again when i get home. Thank you again...

Edited by jono428, 24 June 2010 - 12:27 PM.

#7 jono428

jono428
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2010 - 02:53 PM

Just wanted to let you guys know that it was in fact an infection. Not a catastrophic one just a bad IP registry hidden in my router. Once i reset the router and ran a script to kill the process in Combofix it was all taken care of.. Just thought you should know that they were due to a problem and not just a browser popup

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:18 PM

Appreciate the feedback...I don't know if we would have gone in that direction, based on what we know :thumbsup:.

Happy computing :flowers:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users