Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Man-made Diamonds Sparkle With Potential

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 13 October 2005 - 06:15 PM

BOSTON In the back room of an unmarked brown building in a run-down strip mall, eight machines, each the size of a bass drum, are making diamondsPosted 10/6/2005 10:18 PM Updated 10/6/2005 10:50 PM By Kevin Maney, USA TODAY That's right making diamonds. Real ones, all but indistinguishable from the stones formed by a billion or so years' worth of intense pressure, later to be sold at Tiffany's. The company doing this is Apollo Diamond, a tiny outfit started by a former Bell Labs scientist. Peer inside Apollo's stainless steel-and-glass machines, and you can see single-crystal diamonds literally growing amid hot pink gases. ~ This could change the face of computing techology as we know it. Such as amazing speed, and powerfull lasers. Watches as cell phones, and the possibility of holographic storage. ~ Scarlett
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rogue4Twenty

Rogue4Twenty

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2005 - 08:31 PM

Back on topic... I wonder what will happen to the diamond market? I mean, diamonds are rare, therefore expensive... right?? and if they are IDENTICAL!?!?!?! I guess diamonds and Cubic Zirconians are about to become alot more in common than before.

Oh well, this is gonna UBER power the electronic industry... AMAZING ARTICLE!!

#3 BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 28 October 2005 - 09:11 PM

Back on topic... I wonder what will happen to the diamond market? I mean, diamonds are rare, therefore expensive... right?? and if they are IDENTICAL!?!?!?! I guess diamonds and Cubic Zirconians are about to become alot more in common than before.

Oh well, this is gonna UBER power the electronic industry... AMAZING ARTICLE!!

One of the reasons Diamonds are rare is because the worlds largest Diamond company, DeBeers, is also one of the worlds largest property owners. They bought up a lot of diamond mines and closed those diamond mines in order to keep the supply artificially low, thus keeping the price (artificially)high.

#4 Rogue4Twenty

Rogue4Twenty

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2005 - 05:04 PM

Yes, but now DeBeers cannot control the supply. Since they hold a fair share of the market, and with these new diamonds, DeBeers will surely no longer make a large profit... We hopefully will see an economic switch.

#5 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 29 October 2005 - 08:41 PM

I'm intrigued by the whole "man-made" diamond concept.

DeBeers' diamond bearing land holdings and suppression/control of the raw diamond trade aside, here's a way around all those games.

How's about a "Made from Man Diamond"?

COMPANY TURNS DEAD BODIES INTO DIAMONDS!

By MICHAEL FORSYTH

CHICAGO -- Widows like Anna Nicole Smith can prove their love truly was "solid as a rock" when their rich geezer hubbies croak -- by having the old buzzard's corpse turned into a beautiful diamond ring!

A company has developed an innovative process for turning cremated human remains into gorgeous diamonds that can be worn as jewelry.

I kid you not! Weekly World NEWS Online
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#6 frankie12

frankie12

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2005 - 04:15 PM

that is vert strange Koan Yorel!

I don't think I would want my family members being turned into diamonds!

#7 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2005 - 09:59 PM

YES! I like that idea Koan. I really do. Just think.. no more ashes to ashes dust to dust. Immortal in a sparkly pretty bauble. I think that is a better way to go. I'm thinking a Christmes tree ornament!

:thumbsup: *giggle*

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#8 BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2005 - 12:30 PM

Yes, but now DeBeers cannot control the supply. Since they hold a fair share of the market, and with these new diamonds, DeBeers will surely no longer make a large profit... We hopefully will see an economic switch.

As far as I know, artificial diamonds have been around for a while, in industrial uses, such as blades for saws(diamond carbide),etc. The difference has been that every natural diamond has some sort of defect, while artificial diamonds are perfect.

This difference has caused consumers to poo-poo artificial diamonds in favor of natural ones. No doubt with a great deal of help from the marketing efforts of DeBeers. Same(similar) situation as with artificial pearls, artificial(Japanese) Harleys, artificial MS Office, etc. These are all items with superior quality, but inferior price, no doubt due to superior marketing on the part of the companies that produce "the genuine article".

#9 Rogue4Twenty

Rogue4Twenty

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2005 - 01:16 AM

If there have been artificial diamonds all this time, than will someone please tell me what this new tech is going to do??

#10 BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2005 - 01:33 AM

If there have been artificial diamonds all this time, than will someone please tell me what this new tech is going to do??

http://www.htracyhall.org/History/index.htm - Aparently, man-made diamonds have been around since 1954

I'm guessing this new tech is going to ...

HYPE

Prolly just a marketing ploy ???

#11 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2005 - 11:31 AM

This is a news item. Of which there is always a link to the complete article.

One only has to follow the link to have the full story.

---> Man-made diamonds sparkle with potential

In 1955, General Electric figured out how to use room-size machines to put carbon under extremely high pressure and make diamond dust and chips. The diamond material wasn't pure or big enough for gems or digital technology. But it had industrial uses, such as diamond-tipped saws. Such saws made it possible, for instance, to cut granite into countertops.

Edited by Scarlett, 01 November 2005 - 11:34 AM.

Posted Image

#12 Rogue4Twenty

Rogue4Twenty

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2005 - 02:16 PM

Wow, I cannot wait to have a diamond HD in my MP3 player!!

random person --> "My SD 4GB stick holds hundereds of high quality MP3's \ Photos"

me --> "uumm... my Diamond HD is virtually limitless, I just can't fill my card."

WWWOOO HHOO.. I cannot wait. :thumbsup:

Probably a long time till the actual tech is released though :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users