Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dual booting problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ahmedkasrawy

ahmedkasrawy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:31 AM

hi, i have a dell inspiron 1564 with a windows 7 64 bits installed on it. i recently tried installing a windows xp on the other drive in my laptop, suffice to say it didn't work at first until i changed the boot menu settings. i changed the SATA operation settings from AHCI to ATA and i could install the windows just fine. the problem now is that i can't access the windows 7 i had instaled previously like it's not even there anymore. the windows 7 is still there on the hard-drive.

thnx in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 doctorphibes

doctorphibes

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:23 AM

Try going into computer management, then go to disk management. You should see your other hdd, see if there's no letter assigned to that hdd. All you have to do is right click on it, go to change drive letter and paths, and then assign a letter to it... and you'll be set to go.

As for running 32-bit xp and 64-bit windows 7, yes it works fine... that's my current setup right now and I'm typing this from windows 7. I had a little difficulty with the boot loader
, I had to load easybcd on windows xp to fix the boot loader, windows 7 hdd destination was incorrect and it was trying to boot from a non-existent hdd.
Hope it helps,
good luck
I am enough of the artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. Albert Einstein

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,566 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:12 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529

Louis

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members