Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New DVD Rom problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Clark

Dave Clark

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:22 AM

Hi,
I've just Bought a Samsung SATA Blue Ray DVD Rom drive and cannot get the computer to bootup. I'm running XP Pro and my motherboard is a Gigabyte 81875 which has 2 SATA ports as well as IDE, 1 of the ports is used by my HDD and I wanted to have the other for my new DVD drive.
My problem is that on bootup, after running a memory check, it finds my HDD and existing DVD and also the Samsung DVD but then the computer hangs and won't boot up, as soon as I disconnect the new SATA Drive everything is back to normal.
I've tried swopping the HDD from SATA 1 to 2 and vice versa but it makes no difference, I've also swopped SATA cables but again still have the problem. Another thing I tried which has really got me beat is that I've got another SATA DVD Rom drive which I then tried instead of the Samsung and I still have the same problem.
I also have a spare HDD in my computer which I use to clone my main HDD, this HDD is an IDE so I tried disconnecting the SATA HDD and reconnected my Clone HDD so that I only had 1 SATA port in use but again couldn't get the computer to boot!

Any Ideas would be most welcome,

Regards,

Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:09 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer! :thumbsup:

Its a long shot, but I am curious as to what you have a setting in your BIOS setup utility set to. It is the one which says Plug and Play Operating System installed? If you have Windows installed, it is a Plug and Play Operating System, If this setting is set to NO then the BIOS determines which IRQs and memory addresses are assigned to devices. If it is set to Yes then the BIOS does not assign anything and the Windows Operating System takes full control and assigns the IRQs and memory addresses.

With that being said, please check your BIOS setting for the one I listed above and make sure it has not gone to default which in some BIOSes is No.

You may also want to make sure this SATA drive is configured properly in the BIOS Setup Utility.

Your first clue that there is an IRQ (Interrupt ReQuest) conflict is that the system tries to boot up, but freezes once the BIOS attempts to hand control to your operating system.

If you need further help please post back and further guidance will be offered. :flowers:

Kind regards.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:36 PM

On many of the first generation SATA boards the SATA ports were never meant for use with CD/DVD/BluRay drives. They were only meant to work with actual hard drives. Very possible your BIOS spazzes out when encountering an optical drive.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 Dave Clark

Dave Clark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:55 PM

Hi, Many thanks for the replies,
I've "messed" around with BIOS settings and eventually got the computer to "Behave".
I had to assign one of the SATA ports as IDE Master for the main (SATA)HDD to boot then I configured the Sata DVD Rom as slave and the other IDE DVD rom as Master on IDE and the Clone HDD as slave.
It works but I still don't know why, so I will eventually download instructions for my mother board and try to figure out why I have to assign SATA ports as IDE.

Regards

Dave

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:12 PM

Good luck with your investigation.

For now I am glad you figured out a work around that works for you.

You might consider "flashing" your BIOS ROM to a newer firmware version available for your motherboard, sometimes the newer firmware releases have corrections and bug fixes available.

Good luck and if you need further assistance just ask, the lights always on at BC.com :thumbsup:

Kind regards.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 Dave Clark

Dave Clark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:36 PM

Cheers MrBruce,
Will be in USA in September,going to L.A., Las Vegas & San Fran. Love USA, 4th Visit. Been to New England,New Orleans, Memphis, etc and up to Buffalo and Niagra Falls.
Take Care.

Dave

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:50 AM

Cheers MrBruce,
Will be in USA in September,going to L.A., Las Vegas & San Fran. Love USA, 4th Visit. Been to New England,New Orleans, Memphis, etc and up to Buffalo and Niagra Falls.
Take Care.

Dave

You too, good luck and have FUN!!! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users