Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

the beginning of the end??

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 l3o1112

l3o1112

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:14 AM

i have a hp dv6 1030 us. running on windows vista 4gb of ram 320 gm. i have norton 360 and malwarebytres installed . i have had my computer for one year, and i have noticed that my computer slows down during startup and while going to some websites it also freezez up and i have to unplug it or take battery out because it stays frozen. i have several viruses that have been "quarantined" by norton 350 or so it says.

im thinking about buying a portable hard drive or backing up my pictures(which is really wat's most important stuf on comp to me) and some files to it, then buying recovery disks from hp and start my computer anew, deleting everything. is this a good idea or not?

i did this too another computer of mine that overheated frequenctly it worked for a couple days until the monitor burned out..

plZ HELP I WANT MY computer to run like brand new again, it runs but freezes and takes like1 minture to startup

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,946 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:06 AM

If your system is slow to load, you may have too many applications loading at startup when Windows boots. Almost all applications you install want to startup when Windows loads. If you allow all these startups, they will compete for and use system resources resulting in poor performance and a slow system. Many of these programs are not needed and disabling them can save resources and improve performance as they can be accessed from Start > Programs or an icon on the desktop if needed. Other reasons for slowness include disk fragmentation, disk errors, corrupt system files, unnecessary services running, too many browser Add-ons/toolbars, failure to clear browser cache, not enough RAM, dirty hardware components, etc.

As your system gets older it becomes filled with more files/programs and has a natural tendency to slow down so cleaning and regular maintenance is essential. For more information about trimming down the number of startup applications and other ways to improve performance, please refer to Slow Computer/Browser? Check here first; it may not be malware.

If that does not resolve the slow startup issues, then reply back here.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 l3o1112

l3o1112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:20 PM

thanks for the info , but i am a lttle hesitante to try these steps , what about recovering my computer to an earlier time?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,946 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:32 AM

You can always try System Restore.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif