Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive RPM's & the new SSD drives?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 stinkfist

stinkfist

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:50 PM

What is the difference from the new 10,000 rpm drive and my 7200 rpm drive? What about these new SSD drive are they the best? I am looking into getting another internal hard drive. If I get one of the new raptor 10,00 rpm drives and put my W7 on there..... will my operating system work faster? What about programs for video editing will they work faster with 10,000 rpms? Also what about file transfer from external hard drive to pc will it be faster? This is my pc now

Processor Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 860
Operating System Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Memory 16GB DDR3 Memory
Hard Drive(s) 1TB SATA Hard Drive
Optical Drive 8X DVD±RW / Blu-Ray Player Combo Drive
XFX ATI Radeon™ HD 5450 Graphics Card
Audio 8-CH High-Definition Audio CODEC
Card Reader 19 in 1 Multiformat Media Reader
Networking 10/100/1000 Mb/s
Input USB Keyboard & Mouse
Ports (10) USB 2.0 ports, (1) RJ45 LAN connector, (3) Audio ports, (1) IEEE 1394a port
Expansion Slots (Total) (1) PCI-E X16 , (2) PCI-E X1 , (1) PCI
Expansion Bays (Total) (4) 5.25" Exposed, (2) 3.5" Exposed, (3) 3.5" Hidden
Dimensions (HxWxD) 16.1" x 7.5" x 17.5"
Weight 40lbs
Power Supply 850W Power Supply

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:33 AM

What is the difference from the new 10,000 rpm drive and my 7200 rpm drive?

I've read that read/write times would be greatly improved if you upgrade from a 7200 rpm drive to a 10,000 rpm one.

What about these new SSD drive are they the best?

They are much faster, but also expensive. I would recommend getting a lower capacity one and installing your OS to it, then use an hdd for apps that don't really benefit from the seek times.

I am looking into getting another internal hard drive. If I get one of the new raptor 10,000 rpm drives and put my W7 on there..... will my operating system work faster?

Yes.

What about programs for video editing will they work faster with 10,000 rpms?

Yes, saving and opening files will be faster. However, if you're encoding the clips, you would want to look at a processor upgrade.

Also what about file transfer from external hard drive to pc will it be faster?

Good question. I believe it would, but I don't know how noticeable it would be.

One thing you need to look at about these drives it the cache size. I've read that a 10,000 rpm drive with an 8MB cache is not that much faster than a 7200 rpm drive with a 16MB cache. However, I believe the newer VelociRaptors have a 32MB cache, so you shouldn't have an issue there.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#3 stinkfist

stinkfist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:54 PM

What is the difference from the new 10,000 rpm drive and my 7200 rpm drive?

I've read that read/write times would be greatly improved if you upgrade from a 7200 rpm drive to a 10,000 rpm one.

What about these new SSD drive are they the best?

They are much faster, but also expensive. I would recommend getting a lower capacity one and installing your OS to it, then use an hdd for apps that don't really benefit from the seek times.

I am looking into getting another internal hard drive. If I get one of the new raptor 10,000 rpm drives and put my W7 on there..... will my operating system work faster?

Yes.

What about programs for video editing will they work faster with 10,000 rpms?

Yes, saving and opening files will be faster. However, if you're encoding the clips, you would want to look at a processor upgrade.

Also what about file transfer from external hard drive to pc will it be faster?

Good question. I believe it would, but I don't know how noticeable it would be.

One thing you need to look at about these drives it the cache size. I've read that a 10,000 rpm drive with an 8MB cache is not that much faster than a 7200 rpm drive with a 16MB cache. However, I believe the newer VelociRaptors have a 32MB cache, so you shouldn't have an issue there.

Great thanks for the info. Do yu have any SSD drive recommendations (Kingston, Intel)? Would 80gb be enough for W7 Ultimate? How much hard drive space do I need for OS? These drives are alot smaller then my current internal HD. Do I need adapters to run with my desktop? Are they only for laptops?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...9-072-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...7-043-_-Product

#4 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 11:59 PM

I've never owned an SSD, so I can't recommend a particular brand/manufacturer. Windows 7 needs around 20GB of space, and if you want to use XP mode, the total space requirements will bump up to 35GB. It's a good idea to give the OS some breathing room, so a drive with at least 40GB is recommended. 80GB would be a good choice, because it leaves extra room for the HDD-intense applications.

As for the SSD's form facter, the two you linked to are intended for laptops, so you'll need an adapter in order to use them in your desktop.

Here are two you'll want to look at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...4-087-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...5-157-_-Product

You may also want to briefly read up on TRIM.

Edited by MadDawg, 24 June 2010 - 12:00 AM.

#5 stinkfist

stinkfist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2010 - 12:38 AM

I've never owned an SSD, so I can't recommend a particular brand/manufacturer. Windows 7 needs around 20GB of space, and if you want to use XP mode, the total space requirements will bump up to 35GB. It's a good idea to give the OS some breathing room, so a drive with at least 40GB is recommended. 80GB would be a good choice, because it leaves extra room for the HDD-intense applications.

As for the SSD's form facter, the two you linked to are intended for laptops, so you'll need an adapter in order to use them in your desktop.

Here are two you'll want to look at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...4-087-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...5-157-_-Product

You may also want to briefly read up on TRIM.

Great thanks good read on the trim. I have not found a ssd drive made for desktop.... All seamed to be for laptops. I guess the adapters will work.

#6 Mr.VisualBasic

Mr.VisualBasic

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:21 AM

If I were you, I would wait a bit before buying a SSD. As of now, the drives are much too expensive for such small amounts of space. Sure they're significantly faster than standard SATA drives, but I don't consider them worth the price.

After a bit more research and progress for SSDs, the prices will start to drop; I'm waiting until then.

#7 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:39 PM

Before plunking your cash down on a 10,000 rpm drive look around. There are some 2TB 7,200 rpm drives out right now that can give even the new VelociRaptor a solid run and you will get more space for the same cost.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#8 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:05 PM

Be careful in buying drives that are over 1TB, as it may be hard to find reliable drives.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users