Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

questionable network security

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tobymac21

tobymac21

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:58 PM

i just moved to a house with a netgear wireless router under time warner cable capable of 5 separate wireless connections. we have the main PC wired to the router, then we have a vaio, xbox, ps3, and an ipod connected wirelessly. here's some issues we are having:

when i go to bed, i press the power button on my vaio and it puts it in sleep mode, and i turn my wireless mouse off. i have had the vaio for about 7 months now and only recently has it been turning itself on in the middle of the night, lighting up the room. same thing happens to the PC in the living room, but we only notice it late in the evening. my vaio didn't do this where i lived last. is it possible that someone can remotely activate our computer?

another issue is that sometimes when we get home from work, neither one of us can get on the internet despite the activity light moving. sometimes his PC says "ip address already taken". my ip address currently says 192.168.1.9. does that sound accurate when we don't have 9 peripherals?

something that isn't a big deal is that the xbox and ps3 are closer to the router than anything and they frequently drop signal. i'm new to trying to fix network stuff, so if i missed something important, which i probly did, let me know. this website had helped me a lot in the past get rid of spyware, so this is my go-to place. thanks to anyone that can help.

tobymac21

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Retirednow

Retirednow

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:57 AM

Check your network settings to see if you have Wake on Lan turned on. Is so turn it off.

#3 willjackson

willjackson

• Banned Spammer
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 23 June 2010 - 03:10 AM

there is possibility that someone is connecting to your network w/out your permission it would be best if change the security code for your wireless network.

#4 srutherford024

srutherford024

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 24 June 2010 - 01:21 PM

As stated above, there is the possibility someone is using your wireless network if you do not have it properly secured. Over the past 10 years I have lived in about 7 different locations, and at just about every one of them, I had a neighbor somewhere (sometimes 2 or 3!) who had an unsecured wireless network set up. If you have your PCs behind updated software firewalls, I think it is unlikely that someone has actually "taken over" your computers. The wake function occuring in the middle of the night is more likely some software updater waking the PCs to check for updates. If you havent logged into your router and setup wireles security, it's probably a good idea to do so. It generally takes only 10-15 minutes to enable WEP or WPA on any of the routers I've worked with. You may also want to add another layer of security by enabling your routers MAC Address Filtering option, though this will take a bit more time since you will have to obtain the MAC Address of all the devices in your home you wish to allow to connect to the internet. No wireless security measure is foolproof, but something > nothing. Good luck, and let us know if you need more help or what solution works for you.

#5 arknaz

arknaz

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 24 June 2010 - 01:34 PM

when i go to bed, i press the power button on my vaio and it puts it in sleep mode, and i turn my wireless mouse off. i have had the vaio for about 7 months now and only recently has it been turning itself on in the middle of the night, lighting up the room. same thing happens to the PC in the living room, but we only notice it late in the evening. my vaio didn't do this where i lived last. is it possible that someone can remotely activate our computer?

Wake on lan can do this..And about a year ago i had a trojan or something that would not allow me to EVER do sleep/hibernate. Second it was 'off' it would boot back up. Not saying that is the case for you, but i would check the wake on lan part first (and just do spyware/malware scans anyways).

another issue is that sometimes when we get home from work, neither one of us can get on the internet despite the activity light moving. sometimes his PC says "ip address already taken". my ip address currently says 192.168.1.9. does that sound accurate when we don't have 9 peripherals?

Do you have dhcp on? it just gives out whatever free address there are. Which might mean something else is connected, so yes change your password (don't use something easy to figure out) and see if it stops. Another thing that might be why you have a higher number then devices; do you have a wired connection to a wireless device? I sometimes run this on my laptop since wireless is sometimes idiotic and drops for no reason (when im sitting 4 feet from my router) so i just plug in. I get 2 ip address (internally) one for my wireless, and another for my wired card.

something that isn't a big deal is that the xbox and ps3 are closer to the router than anything and they frequently drop signal. i'm new to trying to fix network stuff, so if i missed something important, which i probly did, let me know. this website had helped me a lot in the past get rid of spyware, so this is my go-to place. thanks to anyone that can help.

You can try changing the routers frequency as others around you might be competing and making it slower and drop. 1, 6, and 11 are usually the most clear from what i have read. Also try changing the angles of your antennas on the router. The way it points is kinda like an unbrella (correct me if im wrong someone), so tweak around with it.

Hope that helps

-Scott
Samsung Chromebook +
  • Intel i5-2500K 3.3Ghz - Replaced with I7 3770k 3.5Ghz
  • 80G SSD, 640G/1TB/3TB Sata  
  • Palit GTX560 TI 2GB 
  • 16g G.Skill Sniper DDR3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users