Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Redirect Virus (Please Help!)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 theman256

theman256

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:40 PM

I have a Dell Studio 1555 laptop with Windows 7 64-bit. For about a week I have had this annoying Google Redirect Virus. When I go to search for something on google and select something, it opens up a new tab and redirects to some random ad site. The ad site almost always starts with results5. It doesn't do it every single time but it does it enough to make it extremely annoying. I've tried Anti-Malware, McAfee, and Hitman and they have not fixed the problem. I can't use Combofix because it won't work on a 64-bit computer. If someone could help me fix this problem I would be eternally grateful!!!!

Edit: Moved topic from AntiVirus, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 William Wilson

William Wilson

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 23 June 2010 - 01:50 AM

Hello, what is your web browser, firefox, IE, chrome, safari or opera? is google your default search engine? This happens everytime you use google to search something or when you type certain words or phrases?
Every browser has a function to block the popup websites and you should check it cause this may be the problem of the website not your PC, so some antivirus software can not help you much.

may this help you.
Good luck!

#3 theman256

theman256
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 02:50 AM

I use google chrome. I use the url bar to search on google. I doesn't matter what I search for, it seems to happen arbitrarily. Actually, I just realized that it doesn't do it on internet explorer. I noticed that my default search engine was actually search.good-search.net and not google.com. I changed this and I thought that it would fix the problem. It did not do it again for a while and then it started again.

Even if I can block the popups (which I don't think I can) it still looks like there is a virus on my machine. At least I think there is. What does the fact that it only happens on google chrome mean?

#4 theman256

theman256
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2010 - 03:22 PM

Problem solved. I noticed that the other computers in my house were doing the same thing. My router was infected. I reset it and flushed my DNS and now I'm good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users