Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Networked Computers and Viruses/Malware

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gumby74

gumby74

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:24 PM

Hello,

I have a quick question. If you have networked computers, how likely is it for virus/malware to affect any one of your connected computers? What's the likely hood of it happening? This is assuming that you have shared folders on each, but are read only.

The reason why I ask is because I intend for one of my computers to be a "download" computer - where I can just download mp3s and stuff, store it, then transfer mp3s over to my "good/clean" computer.

Would this setup work in preventing viruses on my good/clean computer?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 William Wilson

William Wilson

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 23 June 2010 - 02:20 AM

Well, computers in a network will increase the possibility of being infected for the virus may quickly and easily infect the shared information. And since you are infected through the internet while your intranet is also infected cause you share the same access to the internet.
So the best way is to install a firewall and antivirus software in your computers within one network.
May this help you.
good luck

Edited by William Wilson, 23 June 2010 - 02:21 AM.

#3 gumby74

gumby74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:21 AM

Well, computers in a network will increase the possibility of being infected for the virus may quickly and easily infect the shared information. And since you are infected through the internet while your intranet is also infected cause you share the same access to the internet.
So the best way is to install a firewall and antivirus software in your computers within one network.
May this help you.
good luck

Would a virus be able to infect the shared information even if it is a read only folder?

But i guess technically as soon as I transfer files from the bad computer to the "good" computer, i could potentially be moving the virus over. However, i'll mostly be moving over mp3 (via torrent) and image (JPG, ISO) files only. Those 2 formats don't house viruses do they?

Yeah, firewall and antivirus on each computer will definitely be done :thumbsup:.

Thanks in advance ...

Edited by gumby74, 23 June 2010 - 08:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users