Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE Popup Windows and SMSS.exe and Services.exe virus

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 netmatt

netmatt

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 22 June 2010 - 05:05 PM

I am having exactly the same issue as described in this post. Similar Link

Both SMSS.exe and Services.exe running from the SYstem Volume Information area.

That being said, I was able to finally find a way to delete them using the Windows XP Recovery Console, but after deleting it all, and then replacing the existing files in System 32 with good files from another good XP machine, after reboot it all came back. So deleting those 2 files does not seem to be the answer.

I will monitor that post for progress, so as not to waste time on the same issue.....but if I can provide additional details from a second box, let me know!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 blargg

blargg

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 23 June 2010 - 11:13 AM

Hey, I had a similar problem on Sunday. In my case, (Running W7), the bad files were coming from Local Settings>Temp folder. My firewall caught them trying to access the internet as 'file loader'.
Basically, loader.exe and smss.exe (not the windows smss) were running in the background as "File Loader". They loaded IE invisibly and loaded ads.
I stopped the process with taskmanager then deleted the files, but to be safe, I restored a system image from a month ago. I also tried System restore, but I think my AV program was screwing with it, so I decided on the image instead.

This still left me with one problem: IE was still loading every time I booted (invisibly, in the background). So, I made a boot cd with W7, booted to it and ran bootrec.exe /fixmbr. This seemed to resolve the rest of my problems.

Btw, Spybot and avast detected nothing on my machine. This is a new problem. I'm not sure if what I had is the same as what you have, but I figure it might help.

Good luck.

#3 netmatt

netmatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:05 PM

Thanks for the idea. I am unable to stop the file in Task Manager, and it will not allow deletion.

I was going to try the fixmbr thing, but it talked about messing around with partitions, and I have some ghost images on the other partition, so I could not take the chance of losing that.

Decided to go ahead and restore a Ghost from a while back. Should get rid of the problem, but lost a bunch of newer stuff. Call me impatient.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users