Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network stopped working

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Odyssey42

Odyssey42

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:55 PM

Following a thunderstorm, our network and access to the Internet went down. I was unable to ping either the router or any other computer on the network, and so assumed that the router had been fried. Replaced the wired router with a wireless (ASUS WL-520GC).

Now I can get to the internet using wifi on my netbook (XP Home) and the router shows to be at 192.168.1.1 and I can sign into the admin panel with the netbook, but I cannot ping the router (at 192.168.1.1) from any of the three desktop computers (one W2k, and 2 XP Home).

When I run ipconfig /all on the W2k, it shows:

Hostname................Manager
Primary DNS Suffix......(nothing at all here)
Node type...............Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled......Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled......No

and nothing else. What is going on here? Why doesn't the usual info (as below) show?

When I run ipconfig /all on one of the XP's, it shows:

Hostname................Main
Primary DNS Suffix......(nothing at all here)
Node type...............Unknown
IP Routing Enabled......No
WINS Proxy Enabled......No

Ethernet Adapter--yada yada
Pyhsical Address........00-50-70-D6-7C-1
DHCP Enabled............Yes
Autoconfig Enabled......Yes
Autoconfig IP Addy......169.254.175.52
Subnet..................255.255.0.0
Default Gateway.........169.254.175.52

What is going on with the IP Address? I tried entering the 192.168.1.1 as fixed instead of using DHCP and rebooted, but it still keeps returning the above info.

I am totally lost here, and any help will be most appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:02 PM

the 169.254.xxx.xxx is windows private addressing. This means your XP boxes are not getting a reply from the DHCP server in the router.

You can not use 192.168.1.1 for the XP PC's since that address is in use by the router and this would cause an address conflict on the network.

First thing is do an ipconfig /release (will probably give you an error message about the adapter being released or something), ipconfig /renew, ipconfig /all. If the IP address is now 192.168.1.xxx then you should be okay. Check for internet access. If you get an error message that the PC could not aquire and address then you have another issue. Try running ping 127.0.0.1 from the command window that is the loop back address if you don't get a reponse then your NIC cards are probably toast.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 Odyssey42

Odyssey42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 07:22 PM

Unsure what you mean by "using 192.168.1.1". i am only trying to ping it from each of the computers. The XP boxes all say "Request Timed Out", and the W2k says "Destination Host Unreachable" when I try.

Ping 127.0.0.1 all return reply (TTL 128)

No change in ipconfig /all after release and renew

What else to try? thanks.

#4 Retirednow

Retirednow

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 23 June 2010 - 01:01 AM

Open the device manager on the problem pc's. Look for any red x's or yellow flags next to the network adapters and post results back here.

#5 Odyssey42

Odyssey42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:46 PM

OK. This turned out to be less mysterious than I first thought. To summarize, the router was fried and the switch was fried.

There is a yellow exclamation point in front of the ethernet card. I tried uninstalling it and rebooted, and still the yellow mark is there. Will replace the card and see what happens.

(Not sure how to "post the results", but hope the above is what you had in mind.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users