Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jhsnnc

jhsnnc

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:43 AM

I first dealt with computers in 1971. I'm sure glad that software has developed from the cards that you had to punch little holes in it. Let me put it this way. I still type with one finger.

And fortunately for trees, the cards that you had to punch little holes in it are no more. I probably was personally and solely responsible for the high premature death rate of trees in 1971. For that I'm truly sorry.

That first experience, ingrained in my mind the thought that computers were merely a passing fad. Over in six months. Tops.

Today, and due to a recent infection, I wonder...how did we ever live, work and play without computers. Sort of the feeling and emotional attachment that you get with the TV after a power outage. Just like women...can't live with them when they are down, can't live without them when they are up.

I will probably need help with that recent infection. Hope to get it and in anticipation, need to thank the volunteers for the help they are providing. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:52 AM

I am sure our Members can help you get rid of your computer infection. The one thing about punch-cards, though, is that they didn't carry malware.
Welcome to BC!
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 jhsnnc

jhsnnc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:31 PM

I'm certain they can. I'm giving it a couple of days to see if it starts acting up again. Should know by Friday. Just not entirely certain that it was fixed completely by the person who worked on it. Sort of the funny feeling that you get when you expect something to blow up but don't know exactly when. Just like McGruber or let me put it this way. I hear my computer make strange noises that I've never noticed before. :flowers:

Another thing about the old punch card system. It included the best air conditioned room in the building. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users