Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pentium 4 or Celeron

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bradders

bradders

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:26 AM

Hi all, I was wondering if I might ask for expertise on which pc is better.
I have recently invested in a new PC leaving me my old one which I have had for 4 years.
My parents also have a pc, similar age which is a Dell and can be a bit temperemental, but I have done a windows restore back to factory settings and it is know performing fairly well.
I know these are old but my parents don`t want anything singing and dancing, mainly internet, iplayer and skype.
Enough waffle just wanted top know which is better for them bearing in my mind that I have also restored my PC to get rid of all the junky programs, etc.

Specs are
1. Dell. XP Home. 2.80 gigahertz Intel Celeron. 16kilobyte primary memory cache. 256 kilobyte secondary memory cache.
Board: Dell 0WF887. Bus clock 533 megahertz. 510 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
Display Intel ® 82865G graphics controller.

2. Asus XP Home. 2.40 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4. 8kilobyte primary memory cache. 512 kilobyte secondary memory cache.
Board: ASUSTeK P4R8T 1.xx. Bus clock 133 megahertz. 1536 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory.
I installed a Sapphire Radeon 9550.

Thats pretty much it I think, obviously Ram is sig. different and Graphics card is using its own ram 256 I think.
I wondered if it was worth chopping and changing memory but my gut feeling is that the Asus is a better PC (Although its quite noisy)
As you can tell I have only dipped my toe in and I don`t mind playing but unfortunately due to health and lack of readies I would like to as best I can with the bits I have available.
Thanks for taking the time to read this and any useful comments would be so much appreciated.
Bradders

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwest0703

bwest0703

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:40 AM

Well the Pentium 4 I would say is the better of the 2 processor's, as the Celeron is just way too outdated I think. You also have more installed RAM, and a Graphics card as opposed to integrated graphics.

Between the 2 processor's pretty close call I would think. You can't always look at GHz such as 2.4 or 2.8 etc..
Posted Image

#3 bwest0703

bwest0703

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:45 AM

Also Bradders,

That 512 MBs of RAM is just going to slow you down quite a bit, especially with the graphics card pulling some from it.

I wouldn't recommend anything above XP for an operating system either. Vista, although slightly better with Windows 7 would drain a good portion of even that 1 GB RAM you have installed and would be nearly undoable with the 512 MB.

Oh... and :thumbsup: to BC!!!!

With Regards,

bwest0703
Posted Image

#4 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:03 PM

Dells are just bulletproof, (those in that age category). What model is it? (desktop I assume?)
Go online to crucial.com and get a memory scan. That will tell you what memory it uses and how much it can hold.
I would max it out.
I suspect its DDR ram, and 2 gig will be a max (just a guess unless its a lappy)
Given the choice of those two rigs, I would say if it were anyone younger, it would be time to upgrade, however for a couple of older folks that Dell would be my choice.

#5 bradders

bradders
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 24 June 2010 - 12:19 PM

Hi again and many thanks for both of your replies. I think I am gonna go with the pentium and graphics card. I have just spent the day taking it to pieces and giving the fans a good clean, wow there must have been a pound of dust in there, cans of air are great!!. It has quietened down quite a bit and I just tested iplayer on both machines and the pentium gives a much better playback and simple programs seem to open quicker as well. Hopefully I havent upset anything but will keep the dell on standby just in case. Best regards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users