Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is There An Appropriate Order For Scanning Computer?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 deniroa

deniroa

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 13 October 2005 - 09:28 AM

i am new to the forum and maybe this has been asked already or explained somewhere. i am very new at this so please forgive me if this is a silly question.
is there a particular order in which you should use the various programs for scanning and cleaning your computer?
for example, i have ad-aware, spybot s&d, ccleaner and avast. is it better to run one before another? is there a certain order to follow that is most effective? should i restart my computer between each scan that i run or is it ok to run them all and then shut down?
also, is it best to run scan disk and defrag after or before all of this?
if i could just get the order in which to run evrything it would be great...or if it matters.
thanks for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2005 - 09:53 AM

This is how I run them:

Scan Disk
Defrag
Antivirus (Avast)
Spyware Apps (Spybot, Ad-aware)
CCleaner

No need for a restart between scans.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 13 October 2005 - 11:12 AM

I generally perform the following in this order (but not each every time) and without shutting down my computer (unless to run something in Safe Mode):

Antivirus Scan
Adware scans (Ad-Aware SE, Spybot, but in no particular order)
Delete unneeded files (disk cleanup, etc.)
Archive old files and delete from HD.
Scandisk
Defrag

It seems logical to run scandisk and defrag AFTER making changes to what is on your hard drive; but the only hard and fast rule I use is to always run scandisk before defragging.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2005 - 11:46 AM

Point taken, John.
Thanks.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 13 October 2005 - 12:44 PM

I read somewhere that it is better to run Disk Cleanup after Scandisk. Then defrag, so that's the order I do it.

Otherwise I use the same order as John. For malware scanners it doesn't really make any difference in what order they are run, but it seems to make sense to run the the antivirus first and then an anti-trojan before running antispywares.

No need to reboot after any scan as long as all you do is scan. However, if you fix major infections it is probably a good idea to reboot afterward, even tho most of these programs will let you know if that needs to be done or will do it for you.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users