Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 cosmicrose

cosmicrose

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:17 AM

Hi,

I have a Windows XP Desktop and I have been getting the BSOD after using the computer for 5-10 minutes. Sometimes it will go to the BSOD or it will just freeze. I can get into safe mode but it will have the same results - BSOD after limited use. I posted a pic of what the screen shows below. I have no idea how to fix this so if someone could kindly point me in the right direction, that'd be much appreciated!

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:19 AM

Background info: STOP 96, Invalid Work Queue Item

Ndis.sys is a driver related to networking and it's also a Windows file.

I would run try running the sfc /scannow command...or doing a repair install of XP...to replace this file and any other damaged/missing Windows files.

How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 22 June 2010 - 08:19 AM.

#3 cosmicrose

cosmicrose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:09 PM

Okay.. so I ran the sfc.exe and that didn't work. A black screen popped up so quickly then went away so I didn't even see what it said..

So then I ran a repair install of Windows XP and that didn't work either. It got stuck in the middle of installation and there was a box that popped up and said fatal error. I can't even get into safe mode.. it just keeps looping around and around to the installation process.

Maybe it's time to say goodbye to my PC? :/

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:31 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#5 cosmicrose

cosmicrose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:32 PM

compaq presario sr1170nx

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:07 PM

If you are using CDs issued by Compaq...you cannot do a repair install or run the sfc /scannow command with such.

The suggested alternatives are meant to be accomplished via a MS Genuine XP CD, not disks put together by OEMs (HP, eMachines, etc.).

Your options with that system are limited, if the only CDs you have were issued by HP/Compaq.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...;product=426015

Louis

#7 cosmicrose

cosmicrose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:21 PM

I am using a genuine ms windows xp cd though...

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:11 PM

In that case...what does it mean when you say that you ran a repair install and that didn't work?

Error message?

The more exact detail you provide...the easier it is for someone to try to understand what is happening with your system.

Louis

#9 cosmicrose

cosmicrose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:08 PM

I put the windows xp disk into my computer and selected installation to try to do a repair - to fix any missing/damaged files...

I attached two pics to show you what pops up during the installation...

Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 04:47 PM

OK...I've never seen such errors before...but I was able to see what happened.

When attempting to install Windows (initial or repair), a setup log is created or updated. Along with this, a setup error log is created: if the install goes well, the setup error log is just blank while it otherwise reflects noted problems.

The two graphics you just posted...are setup errors from your repair attempt.

Anytime you see "cyclic redundancy error" when a CD/DVD disk is involved...that means that Windows had problems reading the data on the disk. Many reasons this could happen...generally, it's a CD/DVD that needs cleaning or where files were not properly copied/burned to disk.

Error: SXS.DLL Syntax error in manifest or policy file L:\I386\asms\1000\MSFT\WINDOWS\GDIPLUS\GDIPLUS.MAN".

Unfortunately...this error seems to occur often enough to be somewhat documented by Google. I say "unfortunately" because...no one seems to have any better ideas than I do about what causes it or how to overcome it. Lots of guessing...nothing definitive. Guesses range from corrupt file to bad motherboard/bad optical drive.

You can review some/all at Gdi\gdiplus.man Man XP Install Errors

OK, you showed us what happened when you attempted the repair, that looks like a dead end for now.

Does this XP CD...reflect the same SP as is currently installed on your system? If not, neither a repair install nor running sfc /scannow will accomplish much that is desired.

Louis

#11 cosmicrose

cosmicrose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:02 PM

Yes... the XP CD reflects the same SP that is currently installed on my system...

What do you suggest I do now?

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:04 PM

Well...it doesn't sound to me...as if sfc /scannow actually ran...possibly for the same reason that the repair effort fails.

Try the sfc /scannow command again, please.

Louis

#13 cosmicrose

cosmicrose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2010 - 04:49 PM

I can't run the sfc /scannow command. When I turn on the computer, it automatically goes into the XP installation stage with or without the XP CD. It'll continuously loop around to that whether or not the CD is in the computer...

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2010 - 04:56 PM

Can you enter the BIOS?

Louis

#15 cosmicrose

cosmicrose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:06 PM

Umm I was able to get into a blue screen with a bunch of different options like 'standard cmos features' ' advanced bios features' 'power managemen setup' and all that... is that what you were asking for?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users