Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OEM windows 7 question

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kakorot

kakorot

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:57 PM

Im planning on upgrading my motherboard and i wanted to know if a OEM windows 7 disc would install?

Im not sure if i need to buy a new cpu either do i? or can i just replace the motherboard and install windows 7 OEM

Sorry if this sounds confusing whoever answers my question wants me to explain more i can.

THANKS!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:16 PM

Was the disc (or rather, the product key) used on the current motherboard? If so, you may have to get a new product key. If you call up Microsoft, they may give you another key free of charge.

Also, if you want to upgrade the CPU, do that before trying to install Windows.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#3 kakorot

kakorot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 12:16 AM

Im going to be buying a new OEM disc

also i bought my pc when it was already built so i guess it was used with a OEM one before so im getting a new mobo because i want to upgrade anyway

#4 kakorot

kakorot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:14 AM

Okay let me explain further...

Currently i own a fully built pc that already has had windows installed on it my plan was to get a new motherboard and a new hard drive and i wanted to purchase a OEM windows 7 copy.

Now i know you need a new motherboard or something to make the OEM version even work.. well thats what i read is this correct? do i need a fully new pc or can i use all my old parts except my new motherboard and install the OEM windows 7 without a problem?

#5 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:47 AM

I'm a little unclear about one issue: are you upgrading the motherboard because you are trying to install an OEM copy of Windows, or are you upgrading it for some other reason?

Now i know you need a new motherboard or something to make the OEM version even work..

I've never read about that. What I have read is that if you upgrade the motherboard (and/or CPU I think), you would need a new product key. If you buy a new disc, this does not matter since it comes with a new key anyway.

You do not need a new computer to run the OEM OS. You can use the old parts and the new motherboard without issue as far as the OS is concerned. The new disc should run on even the current/old motherboard without issue, as long as the other hardware can handle Windows 7.

#6 kakorot

kakorot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:00 AM

Well that is what i read.. i thought the OEM gets installed onto the mobo to or something
i have never done this so i dont know
also im buying a new motherboard because i want to upgrade..

#7 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:42 AM

Nah, the OEM install just registers the mobo with the product key. Swapping the board with a different one simply voids the install. Nothing happens to the board itself.

Edited by MadDawg, 22 June 2010 - 02:42 AM.

#8 kakorot

kakorot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:46 AM

I dont really understand but are you saying it will work to install if i get the new mobo?

#9 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:50 AM

Sorry, I was referring to a different (although similar) situation. I'll spare you the full explanation to avoid any further confusion.

To answer your question: yes, it will install with no issue.

#10 kakorot

kakorot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:33 PM

anyone else?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users