Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new video card installed but computer has start up problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Phil49

Phil49

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:08 PM

If I shut off my computer and try to re-start it, I have to continually cut the power and try again and again. Usually there are two fans that start running in full speed, nothing shows up on the monitor, and the computer won't boot up. After numerous power offs it finally boots up but I afraid one of these days it may not boot up at all.
I have an Emachine PC and the original video card died so I bought an external video card by Galaxy from Best Buy and installed it. I orginally had not problems, but it has gotten steadily worse. Is my computer about to die or is it worth saving?

EDIT: Moved from XP to Internal Hardware forum ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 22 June 2010 - 07:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:13 PM

I suspect...that you should have been buying a PSU.

What model eMachines system?

Louis

#3 Phil49

Phil49
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:30 PM

The model is T6414.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 22 June 2010 - 07:45 AM

Is the original PSU still in there?

When was the video card purchased/installed? What is the model?

Do you have access to another system...one whose power supply can be borrowed for a few minutes?

What convinced you that your video was in need of repair/replacement?

What message appears on the monitor when the system fails to boot into Windows?

Louis

#5 Phil49

Phil49
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:30 PM

The original PSU is still in use.

The video card was purchased/installed in February of this year. The model is a Galaxy NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280/260.

I don't have access to another system.

The video card needed to be replaced because the picture on the monitor was fuzzy and practically unwatchable. I spoke to my relative who works at Best Buy and he surmised that the original card was going bad. After I installed the new graphics card, the problem with the picture on the monitor was solved.

There is no message that appears on the monitor; nothing shows up. All that starts are the fans; nothing boots up on the monitor. Then I just continually shut the power and retry. Eventually (so far) it boots up and works fine thereafter.
This last time it took almost 20 minutes of retrying....longer than ever before.

Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users