Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive not detected.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Adam17

Adam17

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:18 PM

hello. I have a 500 gig Western Digital SATA HD that I cannot get to work all of the sudden. I went to install Gentoo linux on it, only to find that it wasn't being detected. I booted into BIOS, it's not be detected there either. The drive is indeed receiving power and spinning. I booted up in Knoppix linux and ran fdisk -l hoping that for some reason it may detect it, but this yielded absolutely nothing (no surprise there). I tried popping it into another computer thinking that maybe the SATA controller was shot, but this computer didn't find it either. I even tried running it as a slave drive on an Ubuntu machine. If anyone could provide some help to this issue it would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 powder_sullivan

powder_sullivan

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 22 June 2010 - 07:31 AM

How old are the computers that you're trying to plug this hard drive into? Depending on the age
of your motherboard/bios, you may not be able to detect this hard drive until you load the SATA driver.

Out of curiosity how old is the hard drive?

#3 Adam17

Adam17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:52 AM

How old are the computers that you're trying to plug this hard drive into? Depending on the age
of your motherboard/bios, you may not be able to detect this hard drive until you load the SATA driver.

Out of curiosity how old is the hard drive?

The hard drive is about a year old, maybe less. The computer that it's running on is about 2 years old. It shouldn't be an age problem because I have ran that hard drive on the computer before, also the other computer I tried it in isn't even a year old yet, so I definitely don't think that could be the issue.

#4 powder_sullivan

powder_sullivan

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:47 AM

Well if we can't detect the HD that rules out using any diagnostic tools. The only advice I can give
would be to try a different set of sata cables and see if that makes a difference.

If the problem persists you can do the following:

Assuming the drive was purchased through a major retailer (not an original oem drive from Dell or HP etc..)
there would be absolutely no problem RMA'ing the drive through western digital. All of their drives come with an
automatic 3 year warranty. Usually the turn around time is about 1-2 weeks.

Sorry if I couldn't help any further.

#5 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 12:59 PM

right click on my computer and click manage, goto disk management and see if it shows up there.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#6 Adam17

Adam17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:51 PM

Well if we can't detect the HD that rules out using any diagnostic tools. The only advice I can give
would be to try a different set of sata cables and see if that makes a difference.

If the problem persists you can do the following:

Assuming the drive was purchased through a major retailer (not an original oem drive from Dell or HP etc..)
there would be absolutely no problem RMA'ing the drive through western digital. All of their drives come with an
automatic 3 year warranty. Usually the turn around time is about 1-2 weeks.

Sorry if I couldn't help any further.

Yeah, I guess that's what I'll have to do. I was hoping that it was something simple, but I figured that it wasn't. @s1lents0ul It's on a linux machine, but it does not show up in the linux equivalent . That's one of the first things that I tried.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,730 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:28 PM

A drive not reflected in the BIOS...when properly connected to the motherboard...is probably dead.

If the appropriate hard drive diagnostic cannot detect it...that would be as much evidence as I would need.

What motherboard?

Have you looked at all screens in the BIOS?

There is some variety for reflecting SATA drives in the BIOS.

Have you tried attaching the drive to a different system?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 22 June 2010 - 04:29 PM.

#8 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:01 AM

@Adam17 - Sorry
==]--s1lents0ul-->

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users