Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pavillion a1610n: Power down noise while working

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MaxPower42069

MaxPower42069

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:26 PM

Ok, this is a weird issue. I searched around the forum and on the net, but can't find anyone else with the same thing going on. My comp is an HP Pavillion a1610n. Recently, it began making a weird noise. It sounds just like the noise that the power supply makes when you shut the system down. Except the system is still working, and performance isn't impacted at all.

I figured it was the crappy Bestec PSU about to bite the dust. So I swapped it out with a compatible unit. The stock PSU was 300 watts, and the one I swapped with was 350. Still the noise persisted. So I bought a new 400 watt and installed that. Still get the weird noise. At this point I'm pretty sure it's not the PSU, since the last one I put in was brand new.

The only other changes I've made to the system were installing Windows 7 and upgrading the ram from 1 gig to 3 gigs. Could the RAM be the issue? Like if the chips were in the wrong order? Does anyone know the order I should put these chips in? It's a 2 gig and two 512s.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 21 June 2010 - 04:36 PM

My guess would be fan bearings...or heatsink loose...did you open the cover and visually see where the noise might be originating from?

That eliminates guesswork.

Louis

#3 MaxPower42069

MaxPower42069
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:09 PM

Thanks for your input. The problem is that this noise happens at random. Sometimes it takes hours to happen, other times it's within the first few minutes of startup. One thing, it seems not to do it as much since I installed that 400 watt PSU. It's actually only done it twice in the hours since the swap (happened much more often with the stock unit).

Is there a way to tell if the heat sink is out of place, without pulling it off and re-seating it? It doesn't appear loose, but this PC does get moved around a lot. I'm always very careful, but car rides can be bumpy.

I'm not sure about the fan bearings. I've heard those go bad in computers before, and it's a totally different sound. That's more of a whine, this is more of a soft whirring sound. Like something shutting down as the power drains out of it. Except that doesn't happen, as far as I can see. All fans keep spinning and the PC keeps running normally.

#4 MaxPower42069

MaxPower42069
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:13 PM

I've got the case off, and will keep watching to see if I can spot where the noise comes from. Right now it seems to be coming from the back, but it's hard to tell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users